What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big 1,000 and thoughts on the past year

HAZORD

Premium Member
My Brothers from other mothers,

I thought I would use my 1,000th post to thank all of you for the wonderful time that I have had as a member of BOCN this past year, and especially thank Spotter and the other originators for taking the time and effort to create BOCN.

Exactly one year ago (March 22, 2009), I was searching on the internet for something ordnance related and stumbled upon BOCN. From the start, I became addicted to regular doses of Ordnance information that always included something new and interesting, and the friendships of the members. Here in the States, we are so spread out that we have to travel long distances to meet at gun or cartridge collector shows, and those don't happen too often. In the past, due to those factors, we tend to have a very limited number of friends that are Ordnance collectors, and limited access to information. One of the reasons for this I believe, is because the only war we have had in our country was the Civil War, so there isn't much in the way of modern Ordnance laying around, with the exception of all the FUDS (Formerly used defense sites) that are contaminated with UXO.

Now, as a member of BOCN with a computer and the Internet, we can have friends all over the planet, and share information as if we were all in the same room. Members share photos and information, trade with each other, and we are all the better for it.

In this past year, I have learned a huge amount of information, formed friendships with people I have never seen, and I have renewed frienships with collectors that I had dealt with up to 20 years ago.

I have also learned a lot about our world from BOCN. Collectors tend to behave the same no matter where they live, obtaining whatever they can from dug-up to factory mint condition. For some reason Brits have a facination for German bombs and Mills Grenades. Nothing wrong with that, all good things, as I have some of each.

All this being said, it isn't the Ordnance that glues us all together. It is the Friendship. The members are polite, respectful, helpful, friendly, sharing, and outgoing. I can't think of a better combination of people's traits anywhere else, where I could enjoy spending my time as much as I have here in the past year. I'm looking forward to many more years, and many more new friendships.

John

Absolutely well said John and be sure to know that YOU are also a big part of this brotherhood.
Would it be inpolite to just say "ditto."?

Hello John,

Although we've never met, the reference information and photographs that we have shared has proven to be invaluable to me personally. Your friendship and ordnance expertise is a HUGE reason why I enjoy BOCN as much as I do!

Thank you my friend,

Randall

Amen to that
I recently joined the group and have already reaped the benifits of contacts and friendships new and renewed. I located and aquire a round I have been searching for for years in the first week i was on board. I have also provide the missing item for
atleast three other members searching for something I had available. I have also gleened a fair amount of information as well as some awsume pictures of rounds from fellow collectors. I recommend this site to fellow collectors here in the US that are insearch of information and or items they are searching for.
Best damn site I have found in years
Regards
Ordman/rick

I think we all realize the benefit of BOCN, friendships formed with never meeting, valuable information (priceless) changing hands, questions asked and answered. I could go on and on but just want to let all know, as John I love BOCN and would not want to face life without it. Best cheers to all....Dano