What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Mold for Making Pineapples

Kilroy was Here

Hi, here is something interesting I saw, and unfortunately got out bid on it. I would have liked for my collection. I have never seen another.

It appears to either be a master mold for the casting process, or are completed grenade bodies that have been cast, and not cut and separatated yet.

I am not sure of the methods used for casting US pineapple bodies, but was thinking this was maybe used to make the impressions in whatever medium they used, like sand or clay in the casting process.

I think it is a very interesting item. Have other members seen or know how these were exactly used, or if they are completed grenade castings??

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• Mk2CastingMold.jpg
    Mk2CastingMold.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 152
Here is a photo of a casting board that I took while looking at a friends collection.

I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs and he was making shower drains using a board that was pressed down into the casting sand so I would guess that it was a similar process for grenades.

Attachments

• casting board.jpg
    casting board.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 148
Here is a photo of a casting board that I took while looking at a friends collection.

I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs and he was making shower drains using a board that was pressed down into the casting sand so I would guess that it was a similar process for grenades.

Wow, great item! I like it. Did you see what the casting marks where? I should have asked the seller of the one I show for more photos, and what the casting markings were.

There can't be too many of these type original casting items around anymore.

I wonder if sand molds were the only kind used to make pineapples.

Regards, Steve

Steve,

What you have is a reject casting that was poured without the core installed. I have one exactly like it.

As you can see from Eodtek's photo of the matchboard pattern, the bodies are cast in pairs with the necks opposite each other and a spacer void in the middle. When the sand is rammed against each side of the pattern, a half-grenade shaped void is created in each side of the pattern box.

Before the two halves of the mold are put back together and the liquid cast iron is poured in, a sand core is inserted to create the oval shaped void inside the body that accomodates the explosive. The core is created in its own mold and looks like a small dumbell with lemon shaped ends and a cylindrical spacer in the middle.

If someone forgets to insert the cores between each pair of grenades being cast, the entire cavity is filled up with iron and forms a part like you have. Hope that makes sense.

Rick

Last edited:
If someone forgets to insert the cores between each pair of grenades being cast, the entire cavity is filled up with iron and forms a part like you have. Hope that makes sense.
Hi,
What about the centrifugal casting moulds. Were they not used?

Great mold Eodtek...now that would be cool for a Grenade collection. :tongue:

Yes it would look great on a wall in my basement.

BTW, did you get your package?

Steve,

What you have it a reject casting that was poured without the core installed. I have one exactly like it.

As you can see from Eodtek's photo of the matchboard pattern, the bodies are cast in pairs with the necks opposite each other and a spacer void in the middle. When the sand is rammed against each side of the pattern, a half-grenade shaped void is created in each side of the pattern box.

Before the two halves of the mold are put back together and the liquid cast iron is poured in, a sand core is inserted to create the oval shaped void inside the body that accomodates the explosive. The core is created in its own mold and looks like a small dumbell with lemon shaped ends and a cylindrical spacer in the middle.

Rick

Hi Rick, Yes, It all makes perfect sense. I wonder if there were other methods for casting bodies also. Great, Thanks for the detailed explanation, I do not mind long emails and replies.....in fact I have a habit of doing so myself.

I should get cable or satellite again soon. I used to like to watch Dirty jobs and and History channel, Discovery Fox news etc.....but I am having a Mexican standoff with my old satellite provider "DT?".........if I was a millionaire I would sue them for what they did to me. :thefinger: "DT*" !!

Thanks again for the info.
Regards, Steve

Steve,

What you have is a reject casting that was poured without the core installed. I have one exactly like it.

Rick

Hello Mr. Rick

After have read your explanation to Mr. Steve about his posting “ WW2 Mold for Making Pineapples “ there is one thing that has been intriguing me.

The sand cores that are inserted inside the mold to create the cavities inside the grenades bodys, have to match a depression created early by the match plate.

Looking at the photograph posted by Mr. Eodtek of a MKII foundry match plate, the central portion of the mold ( destined to receive and lock the mold core in place ) is of cuboid / rectangular prism shape.

The item shown by Mr Steve ( the two interconnected grenades ) show a central section of cylindrical shape.

If this item was originated by a pouring without the core, the resulting casting would show a shape similar to that of the match plate.

Unless this is not a casting reject due to missing core, and it’s another EUT ( Exotic Unknown Thing ) :):)

Other hypothesis is that, another manufacturer of MKII grenades, used a different style match plate, with the grenade bodies interconnection of cylinder shape that would match a cylindrical core as shown on the pic below, where we can see several sand cores for Mills and the core boxes used to make them.

What do you think ?

Best Regards
SB
Mould cores for No.36 Mills.jpg

Last edited: