What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 "Mine in Buchform" Boobytrap Book

Kilroy was Here

Here is something I saw searching around. It is an original period photo of a "Mine in Buchform" A Book that has been made into boobytrap bomb.

I think maybe a Russian book bomb captured by Germans? It looks like it is electric operated, and it is a Russian battery.

Has anyone more info on this book bomb?

I was not sure what section to put this in so put it here. Feel free to move it if needed.

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• Picture 54.jpg
    Picture 54.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Picture 55.jpg
    Picture 55.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 57.jpg
    Picture 57.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 83
  • Picture 58.jpg
    Picture 58.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 81
Perhaps this is a guerrilla mine. Now such mines are called СВУ (IEDs - improvised explosive device). But TNT sticks 100g. from russian was not.

Perhaps this is a guerrilla mine. Now such mines are called СВУ (IEDs - improvised explosive device). But TNT sticks 100g. from russian was not.

Hi Vadim, interesting. Thank you. It was probably used for assassination's and subversive missions, or like you say...... guerrilla's.

Steve

Steve,

That is definatly a home made version and extremely well thought out one too. This is the definition of an assassination's or subversive mission (S). It is these types of BoobyTraps that came out during WWII and with the advent of stronger batteries during WWII you could make a very significant good BT.

Are there any leads on it or even with the wiring that may show any kind of rust?

My three thoughts for this type of weapon, is that it was used to either assinate a High ranking officer. Not so likely though?

Secondly, is that the device being as small as it is was given to or left behind in someone's house or businness to kill just one victim. Usually, a book that the recieving person may love or was looking for it for a few years. More likely.

Third, it would have been used to boobytrap a house where the Russians had once occupied and that this one wound be laying on a table at such an angle that it would look like it was going to fall off. Or that except for the book laying on top of it. This because some of us have a fetish or whatever you'd call it for people who hate to see things that are out of order into a way back into order.

With that being said, I believe it was specifacly used to take out one target (Person) only and was used by the Russians or Germans for that purpose. Too small of a trap to be used for anything other than to kill the one that opens it and maybe another person who is too close to the detonation.

There are so many ways to harrass your enemy with an infinite ways to BoobyTrap anything? The only limitation to Boobytraping is the stretch of the human brain.

Also great Trunk Monkey you have there!

JFYI

Last edited:
Since 1943,produced the mine TMN-47. The corps of mine is made out of cigarette pack.

Attachments

• мина ТМН-47.jpg
    мина ТМН-47.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 78
Steve,

That is definatly a home made version and extremely well thought out one too. This is the definition of an assassination's or subversive mission (S). It is these types of BoobyTraps that came out during WWII and with the advent of stronger batteries during WWII you could make a very significant good BT.

Are there any leads on it or even with the wiring that may show any kind of rust?

My three thoughts for this type of weapon, is that it was used to either assinate a High ranking officer. Not so likely though?

Secondly, is that the device being as small as it is was given to or left behind in someone's house or businness to kill just one victim. Usually, a book that the recieving person may love or was looking for it for a few years. More likely.

Third, it would have been used to boobytrap a house where the Russians had once occupied and that this one wound be laying on a table at such an angle that it would look like it was going to fall off. Or that except for the book laying on top of it. This because some of us have a fetish or whatever you'd call it for people who hate to see things that are out of order into a way back into order.

With that being said, I believe it was specifacly used to take out one target (Person) only and was used by the Russians or Germans for that purpose. Too small of a trap to be used for anything other than to kill the one that opens it and maybe another person who is too close to the detonation.

There are so many ways to harrass your enemy with an infinite ways to BoobyTrap anything? The only limitation to Boobytraping is the stretch of the human brain.

Also great Trunk Monkey you have there!

JFYI

Ha! The truck monkey has got lot of comments....he is a very popular monkey.

I agree with all these theories you suggest. (you should maybe be a novelist writer, very inventive theories!!) As far as rust on the wires etc, I cannot see any more then what the photos show, I copied the pics from ebay, and it was sold already.

These type of items, and also the one shown by our friend bar5428 are truly interesting odd items. I think the Germans also had a Chocolate bar boobytrap I saw somewhere.

It is only limited to what the human mind, and technology of the time can conceive to to kill another human being.

Regards, Steve

Since 1943,produced the mine TMN-47. The corps of mine is made out of cigarette pack.

Hi Vadim, great photo. Is this a original WW2 cigarette bomb?

Interesting....you can see the fragmented metal part inside around the charge?

Did the Soviets actually have a designation of TMN-47?

Do you have a war dated manual or anything else that shows this cigarette pack mine?

Regards, Steve

Steve,

thanks for those nice comments. That Monkey commercial is one of my own favorites. Is that the one on dating or something close?

Booby-traps are my favorite items to collect and study them and/or TM's and FM's. Allot of what you see in the books/manuals and especially in the old FM 5-31 are doable. The ones I have a problem with are the ones made into chocolate bars, canteens, and animals. Do I believe that the rat trick would work, probably not. With the canteens I don't believe so. These items would have had to of been built in a factory! No impromptu device here. People also avoid dead animals and dead people. But these are the types of traps that won't do much good because you'd avoid it.

I truly believe that this FM was made for you the individual with a structured mind, deviant slightly so, to give you ideas on how to put allot of harassment to work up a functioning booby-trap using what he may have in his pockets.

Most of the time booby-traps and Trip Wires are there to be bothersome to your enemy by making them have to stop and rest at every house or one in a ville because they are loosing 2-4 men while on patrol due to B/T & T/R's.

For example. During the battle of the Bulge we fought under some serious weather with little to-no ammunition and food. You are tired, cold, and wet. You come across an abandoned house that doesn't seem to be damaged at all and now the Germans who had previously been the renters are nowhere to be found. That situation should figuratively scream out DANGER!! STAY BACK FROM ME FOR AT LEAST 100 yards

Can you think about what the Germans did there while resting or possibly not even fighting just observing......BS!

Again Just FYI

Hi Vadim, great photo. Is this a original WW2 cigarette bomb?

Interesting....you can see the fragmented metal part inside around the charge?

Did the Soviets actually have a designation of TMN-47?

Do you have a war dated manual or anything else that shows this cigarette pack mine?

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve
It is a photo of original mine of 2МВ. Produced at the plant of ГСКБ- 47 to 1946.
A photo is done in a museum, other photos will not turn out.
Guidance is not present, but there is a historical certificate.

Hi Steve
It is a photo of original mine of 2МВ. Produced at the plant of ГСКБ- 47 to 1946.
A photo is done in a museum, other photos will not turn out.
Guidance is not present, but there is a historical certificate.

Ahhhh...OK it is just slightly post war made, Thanks for showing the photo.
very interesting device.

Steve