What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Transport plugs?

Hi Guys,

Latest visit to a local WW2 base & found these. They were found at a location where the fusing point buildings used to stand. Have found quite a few now, generally on the surface. Are they transport plugs? If so any idea from what
Any halp very much appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0436.jpg
    IMAG0436.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0437.jpg
    IMAG0437.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0438.jpg
    IMAG0438.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0439.jpg
    IMAG0439.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 36
What is the diameter of the threaded part? U.S. bombs had shipping plugs in the nose and tail fuze wells to prevent them from getting filled with anything other than a fuze and to protect the threads. Typically the U.S. ones were hex head made from bar stock with a threaded diameter of 2 inches.

Your plugs appear to be U.K. Many artillery projectiles are also threaded with the 2 inch thread and I've seen plugs like yours on projectiles.

I'm thinking the U.K. bomb collecting guys on BOCN can give you better feedback on your specific plugs.

That sounds good to me, I dont spose you have any links for those, I have been looking & have checked your link, but nothing for No28

The only reason i say there from 3" Mortars is that i used to dig them up on a Motar range.

Dave

Ahh I see, these were found right on top of the fusing point area, although it's approx 150 - 200m from MG - cannon range. Gonn apop down there again soon, so i'll see what I can dig up with a detector this time :)

I also found them on a airfield in Holland used bye the RAF but forgot where they where on :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

hi
If I then to allow me, it seems to me that this plug was used for the artillery shell like 3,7 in and not on the bombs

Found a photo of it with a little help :wink:

Attachments

• 4,5 inch Flare.jpg
    4,5 inch Flare.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 29
Hi
you're right Madbomber, but i'm going to see tomorrow the shell i've found two years ago what type of plug is fitted on because if i've an good remember it's seem in my head the same