What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.45 shot m15 - wwii survival rounds

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi all,

I picked this packet of .45 Shot M15 last weekend. I thought that it is quite interesting.

Containing 7 1/2 shot, they were issued in the USAAF B-2 and B-4 emergency kits and were also a component of the USAAF C-1 Survival Vest, beginning in 1943.​

M-15 shot shells that were produced after October, 1943, at the Remington Arms Bridgeport factory had the warning label changed to what we see here, from what had been a warning printed in English, German, and Japanese: "not for use against enemy troops."

In July, 1943 the colour of the lacquered wad used to close the case mouth was changed from yellow to vermillion.

They came with an instruction sheet, for manual loading in the M1911/A1.
They were not considered a success, too much dispersion.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Attachments

• IMGP1877.jpg
    IMGP1877.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP1916.jpg
    IMGP1916.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMGP1922.jpg
    IMGP1922.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMGP1927.jpg
    IMGP1927.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP1924.jpg
    IMGP1924.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMGP1925.jpg
    IMGP1925.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 31
BOUGAINVILLE,

I am impressed on your knowledge of WWII "Airman Survival Equipment" Very good indeed.

Do you collect "Survival Equipment or just one of the many other items in equipment"?

Do you know off hand what fighters we had that were using those?

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

I don't collect survival equipment as such but just Japanese, American & Australian ordnance & equipment from WWII Pacific Arena.

I do make a habit of reseaching and knowing about what I have.

I haven't gone down that track yet in finding out what fighters carried these particular survival kits.

If you have any information that I don't have I would be very interested.

Cheers,
Robert

BOUGAINVILLE,

I am impressed on your knowledge of WWII "Airman Survival Equipment" Very good indeed.

Do you collect "Survival Equipment or just one of the many other items in equipment"?

Do you know off hand what fighters we had that were using those?

Mark

The instructions are interesting regarding the loading of the round. The act of chambering a round by hand, then letting the slide go, forces the extractor to bend around the rim of the case when the slide is closing on the round. This action is detrimental to extractors, causing them to break prematurely.

In normal use with ball ammo, as the top round is stripped from the magazine and chambered, the rim slides up behind the extractor avoiding the problem listed above.