What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50 Fat Mac

SpudGun

I have finally got my paws on a .50 Fat Mac round, rare as hens teeth. Made from a 20mm x 102 Vulcan case. This has a 783 Grain Longfellow bullet. With a powder charge of 320 grains, the Longfellow had a muzzle velocity slightly over 3,200 fps.

.38 Special for comparison.

fatMac.jpg

Last edited:
Some more Fat mac pics.

L-R

Case head separation on firing. Also shows first type push in primer pocket tube.

Second type screw in primer pocket tube

Unfinished case

Fat Mac round

and in front is the Longfellow bullet.

fm3.jpg

fm4.jpg

50fm1.jpg

Last edited:
Well I suppose it depends on how many people are looking for one and how many there are to be had. At the moment they seem to be very difficult to find here in the UK at least so a nice one as shown in the photos could go for a few hundred unless you found one in a junk shop for a fiver!! Of course if someone found a pile of them then the price would probably come down per round. The development from the Vulcan is interesting.
Dave.

I got them from Canada and they cost a lot more than I'm prepared to let the wife know. :wink:

The couple of empty cases I've seen for sale here in the UK have been fakes and the asking price for one of these fake cases has been 150 - 200.

They are very hard to come by as there was only one rifle chambered for that calibre.

collector

i'm a collector in the us looking to buy sell or trade cartiges know any one interested? dan:bigsmile:

The couple of empty cases I've seen for sale here in the UK have been fakes and the asking price for one of these fake cases has been 150 - 200.

Any clues on spotting a fake fatmac? I'm assuming the long primer would be hard to fake and have seen them without the long primer so assume they'd be a fake. Anything else to look for?
Dave.