What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trench Flare

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
OK ... Here is a nice looking trench mortar. Any ideas what country and whats inside. It states its a Flare, but I am not sure about that ... given the emission holes on the base.

Dia: 2 inch (59 MM)
Length: 211 MM
Boom Dia: 23MM
Boom Length: 50MM
16 flash holes

Attachments

• ICE-SJ-17-7.jpg
    ICE-SJ-17-7.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 60
  • ICE-SJ-17-10.jpg
    ICE-SJ-17-10.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 37
  • ICE-SJ-17-9.jpg
    ICE-SJ-17-9.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 32
Hi jvollenberg,

a little question : what the exact diameter of your flare ? 2 inch or 59 mm ? (2" = 50,8 mm)

Yoda

The actual measurement

The mortar was measured at 59MM .. I rounded it down since the conversion of 59MM is 2.32 Inch ... So I went with 2 inch.

Joe

........that .32 of an inch makes all the difference, doesn't it Dear?:tinysmile_shutup_t:

Hangarman

Yes

However,

In my experience ... the trench mortars were of 2 inch / 3 inch / and 4 inch. I don't think, and I might be wrong, that 59MM wasn't the correct nominal size for the projectiles at the time.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this. I am not a subject matter expert on trench mortars.

Joe