What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talley Industries M72

Merlin

This is from my Vietnam collection. Everyone here is likely familiar with the M72 LAW. You might not be so familiar with this version, though. It is the very first trial model that saw limited service in the early 60's. It appears to share some small parts with the M202 FLASH. It had tons of problems that were rapidly fixed in the A1 and A2 versions. Two noteworthy flaws were the sights and firing cable. The sighting system was not only inaccurate (blocky gradients and crude temperature settings) but would also snap off VERY easily. In a photo below, you can see the front sight is already gone. The unshielded firing cable was a much more serious flaw. It extended from the trigger housing to the firing pin housing right across where a soldier might rest his cheek. If the helmet bale or other object caught it, it could cause a lot of people to have a very bad day.

I apologize for the poor photo quality. They will be updated ASAP. Let me know if you'd like detail shots.

m72-1.jpg

m72-2.jpg

m72-3.jpg

Law_ftbenning_1960_04.jpg

Last edited:
Hello merlin,great description and photos,whats the piece i have circled on the attatched photo

Attachments

• m72-2.jpg
    m72-2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 76
Hi Merlin,

Nothing wrong with those pictures matey!
Interesting piece,thanks for showing it.

best

waff

Thanks.

Spotter: That's the button to collapse the tube. It consists of the sealed rubber boot over a spring loaded lever and is one of the bits we think was recycled from the M202 FLASH (I'll take pictures of that some day, too). That retention method was only used on the first model M72. Later versions just have a simple exposed barrel detent.

The firing mechanism is just a short metal rod that hits a percussion cap directly. The back end is visible poking out. The firing wire holds it back against the main spring. After messing around with the LAW tube it became apparent how horrible this design is. Just collapsing the tube can fire the rocket. Accidentally tugging the wire can fire the rocket. Improperly cocking the LAW can fire the rocket. Damage to the wire can fire the rocket. Jarring the collapsed tube can fire the rocket.
On the next version (M72A1) the wire has been replaced with a rod that is much less prone to disaster. The manual cocking system is also removed entirely. The launcher must be collapsed and extended again to re-cock the firing rod.

That was supposed to be two sentences. I do tend to ramble.

Ramble away mate,,thanks for the detailed yet understandable explanation

Thought I would put my two cents worth in. This is actually my favourite Version of the M72, only because its the first one I ever fired as a young lad of 17. Needless to say, that was a couple of years ago. I have attached a few photos of one, showing the flimsy front sight, one you might actually be able to see the firing cord in, and the labelling for use by the Canadian Army. Note the instruction labels in both English and French. the last photo is a selection of M72's.

Ok, this is starting to annoy me.... perhaps one photo at a time:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 72
ah hah, I think I have it now..........:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 108
66mm Practice Rocket

Gentlemen,

I found this post while surfing the web trying to find some information on a 66mm Practice Rocket. I can find no reference material for this item and was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

The item was found on a Canadian Forces rocket range that is no longer used. The rocket is identical in shape to the HEAT rocket from the M-72, but the warhead portion is light blue with white markings. The warhead is marked "WARHEAD 66MM ROCKET PRACTICE M19" "LOADED 8/61" "LS-DZ-239" and has "XM54" on the rocket motor.

I am familiar with the 21mm and 35mm sub caliber training rockets, but this one is a full sized practice rocket. Sorry I don't have a photo available at this time, but will post one as soon as I can.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

66mm Practice Rocket

For anyone that read my previous message about the 66mm Practice Rocket, I have a photo now and it is posted on a new thread under Identification.

Cheers

'68 dated CDN M72

OK, since Darryl posted a few.... Here is my early M72....

Canadian dated '68....

IMG_0863.jpg

Canadian M72 and British L1A3B1 launcher (bottom)

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

Front sights of Canadian M72 (Left) and British L1A3B1 (right)

IMG_0869.jpg

I got three of “exact” the same piece, just wit Norwegian instructions and prodused at RA (now NAMMO)

Cheers
Freaky

IMG_3434.jpg

very nice!
anybody know if Talley also made the M74 TEA (incendiary) rockets for the M202 FLASH rocket launcher?

fire in the hole! :)

I've always heard that referred to as the M74 TPA for "thickened pyrophoric agent." Is TEA a typo, or can you tell us what it stands for?
Thanks,
Taber

Last edited by a moderator:
TEA = triethyl aluminum
TPA = thickened pyrophoric agent

six of one, half a dozen I guess...

any idea now if Talley ever made the M74 rocket? are there similar rocket nowadays? maybe the SMAW-NE which uses a thermobaric warhead.
looks dead effective against buildings: it is a thermobaric warhead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZdNstWIFbk

clip is a bit silly but enjoy

During Vietnam I have seen the Marines using the M202 and that was during TET, not so much by the Army however. I have seen the M-72 used by both entities. Back then the Marines seemed to be the only one's to be issued with older gear and weapons that the Army didn't want to have. This is the same situation which may have been occuring back then. I thought the M202 was a great idea that to me would fit the Army's uses, however if there were any one else besides the Marines I would love to see a picture of one being used by the Army in Vietnam! I do not even know if the Army ever used the E-8 tear gas launcher either in service, but I know the Marines did also during TET. If anybody knows for sure of this topic, I would again, love to see any pictures or anywhere that they both were not used by the United States Army during the Vietnam War. This is just IMHO and for an answer?