What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 Pdr. V.S.M. Fuze question

Gspragge

Premium Member
I have noticed several of these with a small steel pin protruding into the interior of the fuze. It seems to fit into the split in the outer setback ring on of the percussion element. Most of these fuzes do not have this and the slit on the setback ring is too tight. I suspect this feature was more or less useless and dropped. I don't really know what it would accomplish other than to hold the internal parts steady ? I have noted two like this, one marked V.S.M. the other unmarked and on an E.O.C. projectile. Has any one else found this kind of fuze or have any thoughts on when and why ?

very easy to miss unless you are putting in the internal parts and wonder what the obstruction is or you actually look for this pin.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 1pdrFuzePinned-1.jpg
    1pdrFuzePinned-1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 1pdrFuzePinned-2.jpg
    1pdrFuzePinned-2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 36
Am I the only one

to find this silly version of this fuze ? :tinysmile_cry_t2:

My Maxim Nordefelt fuzes don't have it -- why is this pin there, what does it do , or what was it supposedly supposed to do. Is it something to do with holding the internal fuze parts steady when the projectile rotates ?
Clearly it was pointless and not used in many fuzes.

Dont know if this will help you but I have this drawing from a 1905 textbook ,that shows the pin in place with the other internal components,
regards spotter

Attachments

• 110c.jpg
    110c.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 57
So it does -

Easily over looked too. No indication of what it does, but this does put a time frame on it. Also shown is a small spring that I have never seen, easily lost by the looks of it. Perhaps the pin is there to put pressure on the split collar so it is less likely to prematurely move or slip.

Hello Gordon,

From the diagram, it appears to me that the pin is a simple shear wire. On setback, the split collar safety device shears the pin and comes to rest at the base of the fuze assembly. The small spring provides tension against the collar & pellet until impact when the collar and detonator pellet are thrown forward against the firing pin. Let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Randall

Last edited:
pretty close

The upper collar has to go past the pin some what or the top won't screw down, it either fits into the split in the collar or holds it tightly against the chamber wall, possibly in either case as a safety precaution ?