What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horndean 29th - 31st May 2010

Falcon

Will anyone be visiting the Solent Overlord show at Horndean this bank holiday weekend?

All the information is here: http://www.solentoverlord.co.uk/

I am in no way connected with this event, I just thought it was a good show last year.

If any of you are going, let me know, we could arrange to meet up.

I am planning to go first thing Friday 28th and I am in the process of working out how to do it by public transport. Train to Rowlands Castle. Then what? Bus information is difficult to get. Can anyone local to the area help?

I was very disappointed with the show at Horndean today. There seemed to be far less stalls than last year, and what was on the stalls didn't seem to be much good. I doubt I will be going back next year.

Hi all,

I've just returned from the Overlord Show and I concur with Falcon. Definitely fewer stalls and the majority were the surplus/new clothing types. I only noticed two dealers offering deacs and maybe three stalls showing a small amount of ordnance. There seemed to be fewer re-enactors than in previous years. The upside was that I was able to pay more attention to the historic military vehicles than I would usually do and this was most rewarding. I wish I had the spare cash and space to own/restore/run one of these......

So, I decided to leave early, 11.00am. Now the fun started. It had clearly not occurred to any of the ankle-biters (Army, Navy and Airforce Cadets, Sea Scouts, Guides, aw..bless!) acting as car park marshalls, that anyone would actually want to leave early and as a result, they managed to wave me around the site car park in a massive figure of eight only to try and park me near the spot I had left five minutes earlier! Once this slight misunderstanding was sorted, they waved me back round the figure of eight and to the exit, which was in fact being used as an entrance, so I still could not get out! People were now arriving in big numbers and so it took a while to divert them to the original entrance. The site has less than brilliant access, so as a result, I then had to drive against a stream of inward bound traffic, which had a few interesting moments. However, you have to see the funny side, I always do. And, at least the sun was shining and I did not have to endure yesterdays rain, which many of the dealers I spoke to said killed off the day for them.

Finally, as I was making my way out, the event was getting seriously busy; I do hope the rest of today and tomorrow will be successful and that as a result, this show will not be seen to be in decline. The concept of the show is commendable, their people are doing seriously good work supporting military charities, and the historic vehicles are just great!

Cheers
Bannerman

I would have liked to have had a look at more of the vehicles too, which I would have done if it hadn't have been raining.

Saturday was a washout for me too, I think the entry price had gone up from last year and it certainly seemed like there were less stalls, but it was very wet and some were covered over. At the end of the day, it is really a Military vehicle event after all. There was some inert ordnance there but I am very difficult to please these days !

Well, I ended up at Overlord 2010 for TWO days. It was possible to do it by public transport. Train to Portsmouth and 41 bus to Horndean. On Friday they agreed that nothing much was happening so they kindly offered me one extra day for free. I chose Saturday. Possibly not a good choice - rain for most of the morning, cold and damp in the afternoon. I ended up with a bright orange practice bomb, a 6-bang distraction grenade, a book of Dad's Army scripts, a large wooden box and a few other bits and pieces.

Attachments

• Overlord 2010 2a.jpg
    Overlord 2010 2a.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Overlord 2010 2b.jpg
    Overlord 2010 2b.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Overlord 2010 2c.jpg
    Overlord 2010 2c.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Overlord 2010 2d.jpg
    Overlord 2010 2d.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Overlord 2010 2e.jpg
    Overlord 2010 2e.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 32
Horndean

Hi chaps,i went to Horndean today,been working too much lately and the early start was difficult to say the least! I agree that the stall nos were down and ordnance was thin on the ground,but I managed to sell a bit by sharing a pitch. Found a few bits too. Beehive fuse 6,British 20mm AP/He rep, hispano projectile 50s orig paint,2. No 247 original tape and internals(no fuse body)5. and the drill L35 for a tenner,dont know what its for but L series fuses are hard to find. Watched a re-enactment which was great,to be fair the weather was the reason it was quiet,and the lack of stuff available seems to be a real problem.Still had a great time and will go next year. Tig.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hi chaps,i went to Horndean today,been working too much lately and the early start was difficult to say the least! I agree that the stall nos were down and ordnance was thin on the ground,but I managed to sell a bit by sharing a pitch. Found a few bits too. Beehive fuse 6,British 20mm AP/He rep, hispano projectile 50s orig paint,2. No 247 original tape and internals(no fuse body)5. and the drill L35 for a tenner,dont know what its for but L series fuses are hard to find. Watched a re-enactment which was great,to be fair the weather was the reason it was quiet,and the lack of stuff available seems to be a real problem.Still had a great time and will go next year. Tig.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Tig your L40 drill fuze rep L35 is for the drill 81mm mortar bomb

Fuze

thanks Allan,would this go into a drill mortar body,made for the job/ and if so have you any pics please. Cheers mate Tig.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

sorry Tigs i cant find any pictures ,i only have written reference in my list of L series fuzes

I too was impressed with the battle re-enactments. With a smaller arena than that at Beltring you can get much closer to the action.

Last year they moved the show to a different site resulting in better entry/exit so this year it should be better given the chance to iron out any minor teething issues at the new site. I have nothing to do with running it but we started displaying the land rovers there last year and will be back this year. http://www.solentoverlord.co.uk/

To find me, find the tallest mast and ask for Andy.

New to this area of the hobby and would be keen to chat to persons up to speed with 70's, 80's and 90's mortar kit.

Cheers
Andy