What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Law 80

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
A shoulder-launched anti-tank rocket introduced into UK service in the late 1980s. The launch tube also had a five round spotting rifle added. The joke was that the enemy tankie would here a knocking on the tank and open his hatch to see who was there, only to then receive the rocket. These photos were taken in the period 1989 - 1990. While it was new in service, firing camps had to be monitored by ammunition technical staff. The propellant fumes combined with atmospheric moisture to make hydrochloric acid, so we and the users ended up wearing respirators. The drill version was made from a fired, weighted launch tube. In my opinion, the whole thing, although a good idea, was not squaddie proof. Bits easily broke and if the launch tube was twisted on extension then the firing pin for the rocket was held by friction and could not be fired.

Attachments

• LAW 80 on misfire cradle.jpg
    LAW 80 on misfire cradle.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 105
  • LAW 80  tube marking.jpg
    LAW 80 tube marking.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 95
  • LAW 80.jpg
    LAW 80.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 99
I am still looking for one to be changed into a cutaway model.:tinysmile_tongue_t:
regards, DJH

I remember firing a live one at warcop ranges in the late 90's. I hit the tank hulk with all five spotters and then fired the main round which sailed clean over the tank:tinysmile_angry2_t: I felt so stupid !!!
paul

On one of the firing camps that I monitored, there was a failure where the launch tube was turned slightly on being extended and the rocket firing pin was stuckfast. After all the infantry blokes had fired their rockets I devised with their man running the firing camp that I would carefully retract the tubes and then perhaps the rocket could be attempted to fire again. `Good idea', he said. `If that works then you can fire it.' He confirmed that all his blokes had had a go (I didn't want to deprive one of them of their shot), so I retracted the tube and took him up on it. I fired all three remaining spotting rounds and succeeded in hitting the tank with the third one. When I fired the rocket straight afterwards it gently arced over the tank and hit the ground about 300 m behind but didn't detonate. It bounced off the ground and disappeared over a hummock before detonating on the other side. Total travel about half a mile. I reckon I must have scared a few rabbits that day.