What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cotton powder company

paul the grenade

Wanted. any and all info and pics on the cotton powder company.
If anyone can help let me know.:tinysmile_grin_t:
Cheers, Paul.

There is reference to the CP Co on page 132 of " The Big Bang" by G I Brown ( ISBN 0 7509 37920)
I have paraphrased it here - " In 1873 George Trench the manager of CP Co introduced Tonite a mixture of equal parts guncotton and barium nitrate. This proved a success in mining and quarrying and was safer to store and use compared to dynamites. It was used in constructing the Manchester Ship Canal 1885-94, widening the GWR 1891, and building the Severn Tunnel 1873-86. Also used in rocket distress signals, sound signals for lighthouses, and wreck clearances"

Hope this helps

Another reference for you is from -
"Nitro Explosives - A Practical Treatise" by P G Sanford (1896)"

At page 84 a desrciption of Tonite as made by CP Co.

At page 88 he describes "Trenchs Fire-extinguishing Compound" manufactured by CP Co at Faversham. The object of the invention to surround cartridges of Tonite when used in caol mines, with a fire extinguishing compound.
A lengthy description follows of manufacture and testing, Also 1 line drawing.

And finally - there are copies of the report by Colonel V D Majendie ( and others) on the explosions at CP Co on 5th November 1882, 2nd September 1898, and 5th May 1899 available to purchase on the net.

I also have some copies of annual reports of HM Inspectors of Explosives. A quick look at the report for 1911 details accidents at CP Co on -
8th June - 1 fatality in the fulminate drying sheds
15th August -a charge of Tonite ignited whilst being pressed
29th September - fire in a guncotton boiling vat
Same day as above - fire in cordite pressing house - (not a good day)

Last edited:
Just "carefully" opened HM Inspectors of Explosives annual report for 1879 -
CP Co get 3 entries in the list of accidents this year -
1st May - over 100 detonatorsfired due to a machine pressing error
16th May - 1 man killed in the detonator pressing building when through careless action he struck a tray of detonating composition
6th June - explosion in the Tonite pressing machine

best to PM me if you need more details researching

You could lok at this link it gives a database of things that went bang right back to 1772. Some of the records have 'more info' but not all, when they do it usually gives the Cd or command document that was sent to House of Lords for the investigation. This is not the only source of these reports. if you have any specific incidents I may have something in my records. Hope this helps.
I have been researching the munitions factories since 1983 and hope to publish a book soon on the British Explosives Syndicate whcih was loicated in Essex.
http://webcommunities.hse.gov.uk/inovem/inovem.ti/explosives/view?objectId=55760

Paul

A book come out the other year called 'The Great Explosion' by Brian Dillon. Not a bad book but I gave my copy to a friend who's grandfather was on site at the time and won the Edward medal (Industry) for his rescue work at the explosion site.

John

116 Queen Victoria Street, London.

If you go to
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk and search for Cotton Powder Co there are over 540 results. The only drawback is you either have to subscribe or pay to view the individual results.

Attachments

• 3D697CBB-FDA5-4C34-BA98-C6A177EA14E2.jpeg
    3D697CBB-FDA5-4C34-BA98-C6A177EA14E2.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 15
Invoice from the Cotton Powder Co., showing London registered office transfered to 24 Walbrook from Queen Victoria St. The South Crofty Mine still exists and has recently been sold. If you are wondering what R.S.O. in the address means it's Railway Sorting Office.cpcoInvprocessed.jpg

An alternative to newspaper paysites is the Welsh National Library which has a free online searchable newspaper archive (you can select English only results if your Welsh is not up to it.) Examples cpc2ndApril1909.PNG FMHaleRifleGren.jpg

Hi Paul,
I just have been reading in a 1908 german magazine. They reported that the "Cotton Powder Company" had recently invited delegations of foreign army and navy persons for a presentation of their new Hand-and rifle grenade, filled with TONITE. To demonstrate the safety of the munition a rifle was fired at the grenade. The bullet passed through without igniting the grenade. Apparently "Cotton Powder" was the old name for "Tonite" a mixture of Guncotton and Barium Nitrate. "Tonite No.2" had some charcoal added and "No.3" Dinitrobenzol.
Regards,
Bellifortis.
Wanted. any and all info and pics on the cotton powder company.
If anyone can help let me know.:tinysmile_grin_t:
Cheers, Paul.

The tests were widely reported. I've seen a report in a US magazine, the Times, the Illustrated London News.

The trials for Goverments happened on 3 dates from October 1908.

Delegates came from - Great Britain, Belgium, Germany, Romania, Russia, Italy, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Denmark, Holland, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, France, Austria, Norway and the USA.

John

Last edited: