What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mystery item have a guess

25thapril

the following is an item associated with british grenades. just a little test to see if anybody can guess what it's for. I dare say afew will know straight away but afew may never have seen one before.
good luck
Regards Daryl

Attachments

• Mystery1.jpg
    Mystery1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 88
  • mystery2.jpg
    mystery2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 78
  • mystery3.jpg
    mystery3.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 80
  • mystery4.jpg
    mystery4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 82
What the heck !

Going to show my ignorance here-well interesting but I have no idea and await finding out just what it does???????????

Is it an apparatus for proof firing grenade detonators?
Are you sure it is British?

Bugger that was quick

Yes that it alright a No36 proofing tool used for the No 36 dets pretty sure it's of british origins as markings are in english and item lives in Australia here's a few more pic's. 1st with a inert det in place and the 2nd showing the stricker that is the same as in the No36's
Regards Daryl

Attachments

• answer1.jpg
    answer1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 47
  • answer2.jpg
    answer2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 41
The reason I ask about its origin is that if you look closely at at your images number 1 and number 3 between the safety ring and the square recess is what appears to be a Belgian "Perron" proof mark. This takes the form of a tower but in practice it often appears very similar to the mark on your piece.
Nice bit of unusual kit.
I take it the prize is in the post as we speak!!!

will check mark

G'day exat808 i thought the mark was a 1 but will check it out tomorrow and confirm and the bloody postie just went by so you will have to wait abit longer for the prize.lol
Regards Daryl

Not seen one of those before, presumably it would have been remotely operated, by a very long string ? :tinysmile_twink_t2: