What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First T.Mi. 42

StielGr

This has only taken a few years to achieve but at last I have a good example of a Tellermine 42. It was well worth the wait.
Unfortunately for me I think I have been infected with need to find the rest of the Tellermine family.

I have added a pictures to show the T.M.Z 42 fuse in position.

I'm not 100% sure about the paintwork but I think the green is original over a red primer. The red ring around the middle I am not so sure about.

Thank you for looking; comments, opinions, advice and pictures of other T.Mines are all welcome.

To finish I would also like to thank Tmine35 for the spare parts that completed the mine and Grenademan2005 for his help during the deal.

Cheers
PC

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 168
No problem, Man. We are here for help others. Very nice example and with green paint a rare one I think. Im not an expert in AT Mines, but always have seen them in tan colour.

Welcome to the Dark Side.
My name is John and I too am an ordnance addict, as are my BOCN brothers.
We are here to help and support.
alc.gif

Last edited:
Hi very nice mine, is the red ring around the centre Red Red or red primer and is the bottom lip of the mine untouched. If there is evidence that the mine content was removed after filling then the lip edge would damaged or signs of tampering or was this mine made at the factory empty for training purposes. The red marking could indicate. a different filling.
Talking about T.Mines how rare is the T.Mi 35 S compared to the rest.

Thank you for all the kind replies to date and the interest shown.

is the red ring around the centre Red Red or red primer and is the bottom lip of the mine untouched.

The bottom lip attaching the base plate the rest of the mine has been prised at some time in the past and reclamped so I think it is safe to assume the mine once contained something.

As for the red colour that is a more difficult question. The colour is weathered and dulled so I would think it was applied a long time ago. It is a very close match in colour to the red paint under the green so at the moment I would lean towards the red ring being a primer. I know some collectors have mentioned to me in the past about original items with war period touch-up paintwork.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 58
Talking about T.Mines how rare is the T.Mi 35 S compared to the rest.

the 35er Steel is undoubtedly the most rare teller-mine, as there were only some 2.000.000 pieces manufactured, the lowest rate of all great tellers - except the smaller l.Pz.Mi. (light tank mine) with 30.000 pieces :tinysmile_twink_t2:

@ Paul
quite a nice haul this one; wish I would be supported just as you!

the 35er Steel is undoubtedly the most rare teller-mine, as there were only some 2.000.000 pieces manufactured, the lowest rate of all great tellers - except the smaller l.Pz.Mi. (light tank mine) with 30.000 pieces :tinysmile_twink_t2:

@ Paul
quite a nice haul this one; wish I would be supported just as you!

Thanks Peter.

thanks Reino, will come back to your friendly offer in good time :tinysmile_classes_t

animated by this thread, I had a sharper look on the German at-mine (tellers) production during the war (source: Deutsche Nahkampfmittel bis 1945 by Wolfgang Fleischer & Hubert Jlch - btw. a well recommended book) and found following numbers:

T.Mi.35 4.218.900 pieces between 1939-43

T.Mi.35 steel 2.200.700 1942-43

T.Mi.42 9.835.000 1942-45

T.Mi.43 mushroom 3.622.900 1943-44

l.Pz.M. 31.700 1941-42

in this connection the frequently unknown heavy wooden at-mine Holzmine 42 is interesting:
although there were 5.302.600 pieces manufactured between 1942-44, I believe this type being more rare than every kind of teller-mine.
wonder how many of these are rotten in the soil or burned in the oven?

Hi PC,
here you finally get pictures of my own German AT-mines.:tinysmile_twink_t:
Unfortunately my Tmi42 and 43 have been in practice use in our Army and therefore been filled with concretre and after that they are totally restored.

Yes, I know the T.Mi.35 St has a wrong fuze but I'm in need of the correct fuze pocket closing cap - anyone??

Attachments

• Tmi-3.jpg
    Tmi-3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Tmi-5.jpg
    Tmi-5.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Tmi-4.jpg
    Tmi-4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Tmi-2.jpg
    Tmi-2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Tmi-1.jpg
    Tmi-1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 90
Hi PC,
here you finally get pictures of my own German AT-mines.:tinysmile_twink_t:

:rock: WOW......amazing collection you have Reino.
It is nearly impossible to pick a favorite but is has to be one on the operational 35's.
I think I will pick the camo effect 35 Al.

Thanks again
PC

Tmine35;151509)Yes said:
I'm not sure about that after having seen this pic:

TMine35St-1.jpg

the EOD-leaflets are also indicating the possibility to fit either the T.Mi.35 steel with a T.Mi.Z.35 or a common T.Mi.35 with a T.Mi.Z.42 or 43 respectively (of course in connection with a suitable cap).

T.Mi.35(Stahl)-1.jpg T.Mi35-1.jpg

I have not studied this but I think that there may be some differences in fuze pockets if T.Mi.Z.35 or T.Mi.Z.42 is used - due to different working principes of these fuzes? Possibly the adjusting rings needed for T.Mi.Z.35 are removed when using the other fuze?

T.Mi.35 St was used for the manufacture of roller-mines. Unfortunately photo quality is no better.

Attachments

• 50-51.JPG
    50-51.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 35-44.JPG
    35-44.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 37-34.JPG
    37-34.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 89
  • 42-16.JPG
    42-16.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 97
  • 47-36.JPG
    47-36.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 85
T.Mi.35 St was used for the manufacture of roller-mines. Unfortunately photo quality is no better.

Wow, what was the next level of innovation......boiling oil and trebuchets.

Sorry I couldn't resist but they just don't look very practical.
What was the logic behind the roller-mine and how did they work.

PC

I think the great idea of roller mines was to roll them down hill on enemy neck from up hill trenches - the good old medieval tactics as PC said :wink:

I have never heard of any succesfull use of these.

there was a regular, smaller version used by the para's: the 3kg-Rollbombe.

3kg-Rollbombe.jpg

as far as I know first use was in May 1940 at Fort Eben Emael in Belgium.

I think the great idea of roller mines was to roll them down hill on enemy neck from up hill trenches - the good old medieval tactics as PC said :wink:

I may be a bit slow on this one but how did they detonate?
Was it a case of rolling it down and hoping it would disappear under an attacking tank to trigger the fuze. Obviously you wouldn't want it going bang the first stone that it hits.