What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M15, M19, and M21 AT practice mine set (My collection)

grog18b

Here are some photos of some of my practice mines from my collection. They are 9v powered, and the fuzes, when tripped, activate switches inside and set off a buzzer. Cool training items.
First the M15 AT Mine:
DSCF2024.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

DSCF2026.jpg

The M15 AT Mine is 13-1/8 inches in diameter, 4-7/8 inches high, and weighs 30 pounds with 22 pounds of high explosives. The mine is a track-breaker and the M603 fuze is activated by 350 pounds of pressure.

The M19 AT Mine

Next, the M19 AT Mine:
DSCF2041.jpg

DSCF2044.jpg

DSCF2045.jpg

DSCF2042.jpg

The M19 AT mine is housed in a square, plastic case and holds 9.45 kilograms of Composition B (HE charge). It consists of an M606 integral pressure fuse and two secondary fuse wells--one in the side and one in the bottom. The fuse body contains a pressure plate, a Belleville spring, a setting knob, a step plate, a firing-pin assembly, and a detonator. The mine is activated by 400 pounds of pressure and is a track breaker. When the M19 is employed, it is difficult to detect because of its plastic construction.

M21 AT Mine

Next, the M21 AT Mine:
DSCF2030.jpg

DSCF2034.jpg

DSCF2038.jpg

DSCF2035.jpg

The M21 AT Mine is 9 inches in diameter and 4-1/2 inches high. It weighs a total of 17 pounds with 11 pounds of high explosives. The mine is activated by 4 pounds of pressure against a 21 inch long extension rod or, without rod, by 290 pounds of vertical pressure on top of the M607 fuse. It uses a Miznay-Schardin plate for direct-energy warhead a kill mechanism providing belly kill and track breaking capability. The M21 produces a kill against heavy tanks, unless the mine is activated under the track. It can be buried with a tilt rod, or it can be surface-laid with or without a tilt rod. If the M21 is surface-laid with a tilt rod, it must be staked to prevent it from being knocked over and causing the warhead to be directed away from the target. The M21 is not compatible with any mechanical mine-dispensing system.

Fuzes

Here are the fuzes that came with the set:
DSCF2058-1.jpg

DSCF2059.jpg

DSCF2064-1.jpg

M142 Activation device:
DSCF2057-1.jpg

Last edited:
M16 Bouncing betty AP Practice Mine

DSCF2047.jpg

DSCF2048.jpg

DSCF2049.jpg

The M16 is a bounding fragmentation type mine consisting of a mine fuse, a propelling charge and a projectile in a sheetmetal case. The mine is approximately 4 inches in diameter, 7-5/8 inches in height with the fuse installed, and weighs 7-7/8 pounds. Pressure of between 8 and 20 pounds acting on one or more of the three prongs of the fuse, or pull of between 3 and 10 pounds on a tripwire attached to the release, will activate the mine. The principal difference between the M16, M16A1, and M16A2 versions are in the construction of the detonators and boosters. The casualty radius is 27 meters for the M16 and M16A1 and 30 meters for the M16A2. A pressure of 3.6 to 9 kilograms applied on one or more of the three prongs of the M605 fuse or a pull of 1.4 to 4.5 kilograms on the trip wire will activate the mine.
M16APDiagram.jpg

Enjoy! GROG

Nice line-up on mines grob18b, well presented and a beautiful selection of photographs. thanks for sharing with us (me) less informed people...Gracious...Dano

Photo of educational М16А1

Attachments

• М16А1  .jpg
    М16А1 .jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 54
  • М16А1 (1).jpg
    М16А1 (1).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 81
  • М16А1 (2).jpg
    М16А1 (2).jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 50
Grog

Your original posting on these mines prodded me to look a little closer at some recent additions to the mass. I had no idea about the noise making abilitites of these practice mines. A quick check proved that three of the specimens, including two plastic M12s and the pictured M21, contained the same gadgets as yours. The other two metal M12s and a metal M15 are void of any noise making machinery. They were inerted for training purposes and marked accordingly.
One question I have is about the M21. There is a threaded hole in the bottom plate, the booster cavity, with no evidence of anything ever having been screwed in. Am curious if applicable replica parts were ever crafted and where one might find some.
Thanks for posting these.

Rick
l

Attachments

• mines 010 (Small).jpg
    mines 010 (Small).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 27
  • mines 001 (Small).jpg
    mines 001 (Small).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 25
  • mines 006 (Small).jpg
    mines 006 (Small).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 21
Slick, sorry it's been a while. Yes, there is a threadded shipping plug for that hole. Mine has one, and I can easily replicate one for you if you need one. Drop me an e-mail at grog@frontiernet.net . I am pouring some molds for a M142 firing device tomorrow, and will add this plug to the pour. I can also make it light, practice blue in color, or blue/green like mine. Let me know which color best fits your mine. Hard to tell from photos sometimes.

For everyone else, the M16 bounding mine also has the noise making stuff in it. I have since been able to take it apart.
GROG

George, Did you give up on the 40mm stuff for things like that?

Your old friend,

Mark

Haha, never give that stuff up Bro! I just like mines too. Fuzes mostly, but found this practice set for cheap, so had to pick it up. GROG

Hate to bring up an old topic but I just picked up this set (I think since description matches but no images). I have absolutely no idea about the thing, and the company doesn't have an email address. My kit is missing the square wrench, the fuze that is inserted in the top of the M15 mine and some plugs. the rest seems to be there but not sure. Here is a pic of the set:20220426_213913.jpg

Last edited: