What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have picked up a unknown shell at a yard sale

vist609

Hello to everyone here, I am primarily a civil war relic collector but I came across this shell at a yard sale and I could not resist it.
I have had no luck with its identification and neither has anyone I know. After a lot of Internet looking.
I think it is a WWI gas shell. If anyone here can identify it I would very much appreciate it. The shell has no markings and it is steel not cast iron. Thanks for any help, J.M.

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 107
High Explosive ?

Whilst not my main interest I wonder whether it is an HE shell, the reason being is that there appears to be a welded gas check on the base which is common on HE shell, having said that I have not seen one on an apperently early shell such as this one???
Intresting item and nice find-are you sure it is empty?

Yes, She is quite empty, if it would help i can take a photo of the fuse threads. What you see in the nose is what i belive to be a wood shipping plug,but i am not sure..

Clean up ?

I wonder what markings you might find with a little bit of a clean up????

Very relieved that it is empty.
The fuze diameter looks to be very first world war'ish along with the spanner indent to unscrew the top portion.

Should i clean it up? If you think that would not detract from the value then ill take it to my wire wheel or spin it in a lathe and have this puppy looking brand new! Also i just had a good
look inside of it.there is no split line the top dose not screw off?

Last edited:
Should i clean it up? If you think that would not detract from the value then ill take it to my wire wheel or spin it in a lathe and have this puppy looking brand new!

Just some rust remover and a little elbow grease with a wire brush and/or some wire wool should do the job, wouldn't want to remove any markings etc.

Certainly a U.S. 75mm type

Don't wire wheel that causes damage that can't be repaired. use very fine emery 150 -200 and oil steel wool. Rust remover is good also, take your time. The wood plug is a nice part of it. You may find markings on the body.

Can you provide some measurements for it, the length, diameter and length from the base to the driving band? That might help to provide a more positive identification.

WOW!!! You guys were right! It is hand stamped..It says -
FINISHED BY
DEAN KING ZELLER

BELLOWS FALLS VT.

2-27-1918

Man,just think how long it took to make each one of these shells on what was probably water driven machines. and the pride these guys had to hand stamp each one..

Last edited:
It is most likely a 3 inch Field Gun High Explosive projectile. You should measure the diameter to confirm it is 3" or 76.2mm instead of 75mm.

Very unusual to have a name on anything

The fellow made it or worked on it (and a thousand more like it), "signed" it and kept it as a sample of what he did. A nice touch.

Unknown shell...

Hello vist609,

I'm almost positive what you have is a very difficult to find WWI era U.S. 3-inch antiaircraft gun common steel shell, Mark I HE. The two crimping groves below the rotating ring indicate it as a U.S. 3-inch. The mechanical time fuze, Waltham Mark I were used with these projectiles. I have a photograph of one somewhere, I'll attempt to find it.

Best regards,

Randall

Vermont Farm Machinery Co.

I apologize for not posting back; I lost power today at 11:00 am and just got it back.Anyway all could find about munitions in Bellows Falls VT was a company called Vermont Farm Machinery Co. Bellows Falls VT they were best known for being the maker of the Vermont Cream Separator. It appears they got a contract to convert over 500, 00,00 3 inch shells to fragmentation bombs (the kind dropped by planes). This is all I found.Thanks to all you guys for your help on this shell. Once more I find myself digging into very interesting war history… Just a later war for me.

Last edited:
Hello vist609,

My mistake, your projectile isn't a 3-inch antiaircraft, Mark I projectile but rather a U.S. 3-inch Field Gun HIGH CAPICITY HE. I've included a few photographs of the one in my collection.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 38
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 38
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 28
Thanks shelldude!!!!

Well it seems the mystery is solved.
I have one more question for my knowlagible friends across the pond, what do you think is a fair price for it? I think I might trade or sell it for some civil war artifact. Thanks, Jay

Hello Jay,

The 3-inch HIGH CAPACITY HE projectiles themselves can still be found here in the U.S. It's the fuze adapter/burster with fuze that's extremly scarce. A projectile like yours with it's wooden fuze well plug in excellent condition would sell for between $75.00 - $125.00. Most people don't know what the projectile is exactly.

Best regards,

Randall

Thanks for the info.

Well I suppose I suppose I did not get hurt, as I gave 5.00 dollars for it.I think Ill keep it next to the picture of the field gun that shoots it, out of respect for the fellow machinist who signed it. Thanks agian everyone!
Be carefull all, Jay

Last edited: