What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 recovered near sarajevo

al'saad

Ordnance approved
bomb is recovered in a minefield...ka-bar is recovered in army-shop :D

Attachments

• sd21.jpg
    sd21.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 329
What a great picture, thank you for showing it, it is really good to see these in situ pictures. as if a mine field was not bad enough you find one of these in the middle,
Best regards Weasel.

How interesting, thanks for showing the photos.
What fuze has it got in it?
Were there others near by?
Dave.

I'm intrested also as to the use of SD2's in Sarajevo.

It definately looks like the German SD2 and not the later American M83.

So my question, is it known if these were widely used in the area? ( I haven't read any accounts of their use in this particular area, however there is no reason to suggest they weren't - obviously the proof is in the photo you posted!! )

Very interesting photograph - thankyou for posting.
- certainly not something you want to stumble across!! (also looks as if the arming spindle is in the 'armed' position!!)

regards Kev

thanks guys,

well, arming spindle is in armed position, bomblet is moved earlier by some hunters who were hunting in area who recovered it in the nearby creek and put on the stump where it was found by demining team.

i have pulled it by hook and line off the stump and and after that i took in my hand and made several detailed photos of it being very gently while moving it.

i am not sure what kind of fuse it is equipped with but i am pretty sure it is german because in the area where it was recovered there were some heavy fights between tito partisans and germans and their local allies.

i also haven found any proof of amercian butterfly bombs in former yugoslavia used by any party in any conflict.

next week i am back on spot to try to break the bomb jacket with the point charge and take some detailed pics of the fuse elemets which are inside the bomb. if there is anything you would like me to check on this one let me know.

Last edited:
Hi again thanks for the update.
If you could take some close up photographs of the top of the fuze that will tell you what it is, it will probably be a 41, 67 or 70 fuze. Also some close up photographs of any markings on the wings or body would be of interest.
Thanks,
Dave.

i have inspected bomb very carefully and i haven find any markings due to large degree of corrosion...bomb was originally recovered in the creek and i can't determine for how long it has been in the water.
when i pulled it off stump one wing broke.

Thanks for your detailed response.

Not to worry about the fuze markings, if you recover any items from the internal mechanism ought to be able to identify what fuze it was.

Do you know if the fuze is fitted by bayonet fitting (two lugs either side) or by screw thread?

You are probably aware that if you find one of these, there could be others around.

Were you aware that SD2's had been dropped in the area, prior to finding this one? (have others been found?)

regards Kev

here is a detailed photo of the fuse

Attachments

• sd2.jpg
    sd2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 117
Hi, thanks for detail of fuze,

the fuze is screw threaded into the body, so this then would indicate it to be a type 41 fuze which is airburst or impact.

To the top right of the arming rod in the photo I think you can just make out the selector switch, which would set the fuze to Az / zeit.

The fuze is in the armed position.

regards Kev

Here are some photos of the 41 type fuzes from my own collection.

(all inert of course!!)

First a selection fo photos of the type 41 fuze - this is the threaded type. The last two images show the type 41A fuze (bayonet fitting for comparison)

regards Kev

Attachments

• HPIM5023.jpg
    HPIM5023.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 48
  • HPIM5019.jpg
    HPIM5019.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 48
  • HPIM5029.jpg
    HPIM5029.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 45
  • HPIM5030.jpg
    HPIM5030.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 45
  • HPIM5031.jpg
    HPIM5031.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 44
  • HPIM5026.jpg
    HPIM5026.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 43
  • HPIM5025.jpg
    HPIM5025.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 39
Here also are some photos of a cutaway SD2 again in my own collection (totally inert)

This shows a cutaway 41 fuze in the bomb body. I hope these may be useful to you.

If you have any more photos of the recovered SD2 I would love to see them.

regards Kev

HPIM4847 (2).JPGHPIM4822.jpgHPIM4832.jpgHPIM4828.jpgHPIM4839.jpg

Very interesting photo, the hunters that moved it are lucky. I look forward to seeing any photos you get of the bomb. Stay safe!

Dear AlSaad.

thanks for sharing this very interesting photo together with the great photos. If you can tell me in which area the bomb was discovered, I can probably search in some of my war diarys to find some background informations to the fightings there.

Also: There must be no air attack to find SD-Bombs, because they where often and gladly used as a mine, so Im very interested, if the mine field was from WWII or was the field from the 90th?

In April 1945 German Soldiers had used SD2 Bombs to mine a road block in vicinity of Waldbrl / Germany, at a other point in eastern Germany, Luftwaffe Soldiers burried some SD-2 Bombs in the sholder of roads. In late 1944 in Besserabia German soldiers were killed by burried SD-2,.