What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info wanted on PG-2 charge container

Mannlicher

Hello everyone.

Quick question: i've purchased an inert PG-2 rocket and i'd like to make a dummy propelling charge container, out of 40mm pvc tubing. Could someone help me with the dimensions (the overall length) of the charge container?

I guessed it to be around 13-14 cm from this drawing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PG-2_rocket.JPG, but i'd like to know the exact dimensions.

Thank you in advance. :angel:
M

Hi Manchiller,
According to a diagram I have it is 172.72mm long and 38.10mm in diam. Here's a picture from an EOD manual pdf.
Regards,
Bill

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 156
My PG-2 is Polish and not Chinese, but slightly different in size. Mine is exactly 165mm long and 38.5mm in diameter. The actual cardboard tube is 160mm long, with the metal cap making up the difference. The cap is force fit over the end of the cardboard tube. It came apart very easy to remove the propellant. I have attached several photos showing it and the end cap. The rear of the tube is closed with a disc that has a dark black sealant over it. The light portion in my photo is a reflection of the green surface where the paint is thin. No matter what length you use, the difference is small enough that no one will notice it. Good luck with your project!

Attachments

• PG-2 propellant.jpg
    PG-2 propellant.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 99
  • PG-2 propellant a.jpg
    PG-2 propellant a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 90
  • PG-2 propellant b.jpg
    PG-2 propellant b.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 87
  • PG-2 propellant c.jpg
    PG-2 propellant c.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 79
  • PG-2 propellant d.jpg
    PG-2 propellant d.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 83
  • PG-2.jpg
    PG-2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 128
My PG-2 is Polish and not Chinese, but slightly different in size. Mine is exactly 165mm long and 38.5mm in diameter. The actual cardboard tube is 160mm long, with the metal cap making up the difference. The cap is force fit over the end of the cardboard tube. It came apart very easy to remove the propellant. I have attached several photos showing it and the end cap. The rear of the tube is closed with a disc that has a dark black sealant over it. The light portion in my photo is a reflection of the green surface where the paint is thin. No matter what length you use, the difference is small enough that no one will notice it. Good luck with your project!

Hi all,
Here are some diagrams I have of PG-2s. One was labeled as Polish the other Chinese. Quite a bit of difference in lengths. Also a cutaway detail of the connector end of the tube from the manual in case you want to get crazy and do a cutaway version.
Regards,
Bill

Attachments

• pol-pg2.jpg
    pol-pg2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 124
  • chnse56.jpg
    chnse56.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 104
  • booster detail2.jpg
    booster detail2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 103
My PG-2 is a practice version, painted black. It was fired. The booster section will be made just to show the overall length of the rocket (looks kinda short now, compared with the PG-7 :tinysmile_twink_t:). Guess i will paint it black, to match the rest of the rocket.
I'll go with the Polish dimensions, it's closer to my location. Pics will follow when completed.

Thanks again.:smile:

Did you happen to note the type and weight of the propellant? The RPG-2 has long been a favorite of mine, more so than it's more well known brother. I had heard that the powder was held in the end sections, separated by an air space between.

Hello again. Finally got some time to take and upload the pictures... So here is the booster (made from pvc pipe sealed at the end with a medicine bottle cap and painted black) and the rest of the round.

I want to thank you all for the provided help :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hello again. Finally got some time to take and upload the pictures... So here is the booster (made from pvc pipe sealed at the end with a medicine bottle cap and painted black) and the rest of the round.

I want to thank you all for the provided help :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Manchiller,
Very nice job ! Can you post a pic of the connector end of the tube ? It looks like metal, did you thread it to screw on ?
Regards,
Bill

The rocket was fired once so at the end of the projectile remained the metal cap of the propelling charge that burned off.

I simply unscrewed the cap from the body and glued it with epoxy onto the dummy charge before painting. :tinysmile_grin_t:

botcheg, your charge container here should be green like the life ones since your grenade is a practice version.

Mannlicher, this is no rocket.

Guess what... The primer on the side of the rocket is struck. And the fins were bent from the impact. One of them is missing/partially torn - on the opposite side in the picture - from the same impact.
And was found on the firing range...

So i guess it's a rocket allright. :angel:

Mannlicher, great to see.

Here a drawing of the PG-2:

629320.jpg

Look at the primer (no 17 in drawing), everything to the right of it is the only propellant this items is having. It is basically a charge which works on the recoilless principle and has no nozzle as a rocket would do. A rocket would also take the propelling charge with it on it's way to the target and consume it on the way there.

Thanks mate. I only used the "rocket" term as an expression for the overall item, instead of "projectile". I also have a the PG-7 round in my collection and i'm used to call both of 'em "rockets". So the PG-7 is a true rocket and the PG-2 is a recoilless projectile.
Every day brings a learning opportunity. :smile: