What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PE No.2 and Nobels 808 sizes?

turpin42

Hi all
I'm thinking about making up a few dummy sticks and have had no luck finding original paper wrapping to either PE No.2 or Nobels 808.
Can anyone help with sizes of the paper wrappings?
Looked around on the net and found that Nobels 808 stick was 3" x 1 1/4" but the sizes of the PE No.2 seem to vary quite a bit.
Also missing the the text on the bottom of the Nobels 808.

NOBEL'S EXPLOSIVE
No. 808
Alfred (LOGO) Nobel
Glasgow
THIS EXPLOSIVE IS ONLY TO BE USED
???????????

Hope someone out there can help​

All the very best
T42​

Nobel 808 - PE No 2

Dimensions of Nobel 808 :
Length : 7,62 cm
Diameter : 4,49 cm
Weight : 113,4 g

Dimensions of PE No 2 :
Length : 19,5 cm
Diameter : 3,5 cm
Weight : 226,8 g

Same dimensions as PE No 2 for PE No 3A

Yoda

Hi all
I'm thinking about making up a few dummy sticks and have had no luck finding original paper wrapping to either PE No.2 or Nobels 808.
Can anyone help with sizes of the paper wrappings?
Looked around on the net and found that Nobels 808 stick was 3" x 1 1/4" but the sizes of the PE No.2 seem to vary quite a bit.
Also missing the the text on the bottom of the Nobels 808.

NOBEL'S EXPLOSIVE
No. 808
Alfred (LOGO) Nobel
Glasgow
THIS EXPLOSIVE IS ONLY TO BE USED
???????????

Hope someone out there can help​

All the very best
T42​

Hi T42,

Hope this helps, PE 2 is an 8 ounce cartridge and is 8 inch long x 1 1/4 dia wrapped in a light brown waterproof paper, The last bit on the 808 label I have somewhere and as soon as i find it I will post. 808 could not be used for tunneling due to the poisonous gases produced on detonation.

All the best

Richard

I have a couple of ICI display boards in my collection plus a few spare cartridges. The 808 wrapper was the same brown waxed paper as many other ICI/Nobel products. PM me if you want close ups of any of the cartridges.

Attachments

• DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 335
Thanks again

Thanks for all the help guys!
Richard, if you find out what the missing text is on the 808, let me know.

All the best
T42

If anyone wants to have a go...

Hi all
If anyone wants a go at doing this, here is a PDF in the correct size and with the text copied from a genuine wrapper P.E.No.2.
Width of wrapper 25cm
Length 20cm on the short side, 29cm on the long.
I'll post the Nobel 808 when i get all the info.
Thanks again for all the help.

All the best
T42

Attachments

• PEno2.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 210
Finished with the P.E. No.2

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Looks good as long as you don't pick it up.
(Paperwrapped wooden core)

All the best
T42

Attachments

• PEno2repro.jpg
    PEno2repro.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 222
Here's the 808

Finally found the right looking paper for the Nobels 808.
Thanks to all for the help to get this done!
Paper around a wooden core, nothing that says bang.:tinysmile_twink_t:

All the best

T42

Attachments

• Nobels 808.jpg
    Nobels 808.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 267
PE no. 2 paper

Hi Chase
It came with some jeep parts a few years back.
I hang on to it as i thought i could use it for something someday...

All the best

T42

Hello,
When I first saw this thread yesterday I was actually trying this out myself. Having no idea of size, correct wrapping etc, I used an exta large tube of peppermints, and printed a guess at the colour and lettering on the computer. After glueing the lable on I gave it a coats of matt varnish. Now I can work on a correct one! Question is; How do you print on waxed paper?
Cheers,
Guy.

Attachments

• Dummy Dyn 1.jpg
    Dummy Dyn 1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 139
Question is; How do you print on waxed paper?
Cheers,
Guy.

hello, Guy - do not use a laser printer, I've made bad experiences, as afterwards the whole printer was soiled due to the high temperatures :tinysmile_angry2_t:

PE no.2

You print on waxed paper.... carefully:tinysmile_classes_t
Just let it dry properly. The paper i used on the PE No.2 was waxed and oily but it still worked the normal HP printer we have. I posted a PE no.2 artwork earlier in this post if you need that.

All the best
T42

You print on waxed paper.... carefully:tinysmile_classes_t
Just let it dry properly. The paper i used on the PE No.2 was waxed and oily but it still worked the normal HP printer we have. I posted a PE no.2 artwork earlier in this post if you need that.

All the best
T42

Hello T42,
Thanks for the info, I have an HP printer so hopefully that should be ok. (Sudelmuk has warned me not to use a laser printer, thanks for that tip).
Unfortunately I can't open your artwork file, is it possible for you to send it as a picture?
Many thanks,
Guy.

Looks good mate, I'll be doing some of these up myself over the wintertime. I'll be blagging some Kraft paper from work which should do the job nicely for the wrapping. Not sure how well it'll go through the printer though.

Ah well, plead ignorance and blame the missus if anything goes wrong...