What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PE No.2 and Nobels 808 sizes?

There are downloads of Nobel 808 wrappers here:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86972&hilit=nobels

and

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=26491&hilit=nobels&start=48

Can anyone confirm the definitive size for a 4 oz stick?
'Weapons of the WWII Tommy' by David B Gordon, says 1 3/8" x 3", but I've seen others quote 4" long

In reference to an earlier post the text under Glasgow should read:
THIS EXPLOSIVE IS ONLY TO BE USED
WITH A 1 oz. PRIMER

cheers
Paul

There are downloads of Nobel 808 wrappers here:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86972&hilit=nobels

cheers
Paul

Evening Everyone

The above is the one I used to mock-up my Nobel 808.

I bought some cheap brown paper from a £1 shop, cut it to A4 size and printed onto that. Once printed and cut to size I used a T-light candle to rub all over the wrapper then melted it into the paper using a normal iron on its lowest setting (Don't tell the wife ;) ), it actually doesn't do the iron any damage.

I would post a picture of the results but not sure if I have premission to post images yet as I'm still a Newbie.

Regards

Andy :cool:

Hi I have been watching this post as i am very interested in soe stuff so thought i would have a go at making some sticks, i had a piece of railway line so thought i would make a display,hope its looks right.
cheers
Andy

Attachments

• Fog and Nobel.jpg
    Fog and Nobel.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 67
Hello Gentlemen,

I have the opportunity to purchase the five original Nobel's No. 808 wrappers shown in the photo below. I know that I will buy three for sure, or maybe I will buy all five, but either way I want to make a couple mock-ups of original sticks. This thread lists a few different dimensions that the sticks should be, so can anyone confirm which measurements are correct?

Also, what was the consistency of an original stick? In other words, was it firm and hard (like a wood dowel inside would be), or was is soft and pliable (like the plastic explosive show in the movies these day). If soft and pliable, perhaps I should use clay or putty inside my display pieces?

Lastly, does anyone have a picture of the end of an original stick? I'd like to see how the wrappers were folded over on each end.

Thanks

John

Nobel No.808 Wrappers.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all
I'm thinking about making up a few dummy sticks and have had no luck finding original paper wrapping to either PE No.2 or Nobels 808.
Can anyone help with sizes of the paper wrappings?
Looked around on the net and found that Nobels 808 stick was 3" x 1 1/4" but the sizes of the PE No.2 seem to vary quite a bit.
Also missing the the text on the bottom of the Nobels 808.
This is from my book. SOE Equipment Air Dropped In Europe 1940-1945

Nobel 808.jpg
Nobel 808.jpg
P.E. No.2 (2).jpg
P.E. No2 Paper Wrap.jpg

Hi I have been watching this post as i am very interested in SOE stuff so thought i would have a go at making some sticks, i had a piece of railway line so thought i would make a display,hope its looks right.
cheers
Andy
Nice, except a detonator No.27 was inserted in the Fog Signal and the Cordex cord was attached to the detonator by either tape or cordtex wire. The whole idea was to blow up the railway tracks in front of the train so it would be derailed. That will not happen with a piece of Bickford fuze.
Cordtex.jpg

This is from my book. SOE Equipment Air Dropped In Europe 1940-1945

Very nice Anders, thanks for posting! I have your AWESOME book, and enjoy viewing it and drooling over all the fantastic items you have in your S.O.E. collection. I can only dream of acquiring many of those things someday. A Type E6 Limpet, with placing rod and hold-fasts would be the ultimate acquisition for me. :tinysmile_classes_t

Unfortunately neither of the two pictures you show of Nobel's 808 have a view of the stick ends. I am just trying to determine if the wrapper on the end was very neatly folded over and creased a certain way, or just folded randomly. I am probably over-thinking this, but I like to be as accurate as possible. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Last edited:
Hi All, Extract from the 1983 REPB,

PE 808.jpg

It shows the dimensions in metric, (100 x 32mm = 4 x 1 1/4 in) which seem to be at odds with the above post. My 2 dummy carts are 3 x 1 1/4 in.

Rich

The 1979 version of the REPB also shows the same information, but there is no listing for 808 in the 1967 version?. I am not aware of any changes in the size between the WW11 and late 70's stock??. Light blue cartridge with a brown paper wrapper. I seem to remember it was a form of pastel/baby blue, but it has been a long time since I used it last (late 1970's).

Very nice Anders, thanks for posting! I have your AWESOME book, and enjoy viewing it and drooling over all the fantastic items you have in your S.O.E. collection. I can only dream of acquiring many of those things someday. A Type E6 Limpet, with placing rod and hold-fasts would be the ultimate acquisition for me. :tinysmile_classes_t

Unfortunately neither of the two pictures you show of Nobel's 808 have a view of the stick ends. I am just trying to determine if the wrapper on the end was very neatly folded over and creased a certain way, or just folded randomly. I am probably over-thinking this, but I like to be as accurate as possible. :tinysmile_tongue_t:
Thank you for the kind words. Yes I am sorry for not taking photos from that angle. As I recall the ends were closed similar to the business end of a shotgun cartridge (star crimp).

Nice job, what did you use to recreate the Bickfords?

Hi Belly, and thank you. i used boot lace and took the middle out of it and in side i put plumbers solder wire that way its flexible.
Andy
I believe it is against the rules to tell about how to deactivate a piece of Bickford fuze, but it is very easy and safe. But first the fuze has to be acquired. :tinysmile_cry_t:
But it is a very intuitive solution that AndysArmory has come up with. :congrats:

Last edited:
Yes I am sorry for not taking photos from that angle. As I recall the ends were closed similar to the business end of a shotgun cartridge (star crimp).

Thanks Anders, that is very helpful. No need to apologize, you would have had no way of knowing that some silly collector like me would want to see the ends of the sticks. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Interesting conversation. I wonder if the sizes of WW2 808 cartridges varied?

Regarding the mock-up rail sabotage display with what looked like black safety fuse, as said it should simulate Cordtex instead. Does anyone want to talk about what WW2 Cordtex looked like? I have heard white or light gray like lead. Smooth like plastic or vinyl? I think I saw a photo that showed some kind of printed pattern. 1/4 inch/6mm diameter?

I don't want to hijack the original poster's question but if you all think it's been answered can we talk about Cordtex?

@Houndsworth,

Cordeau Detonant/Cordeau Bickford or Fuze, Instantaneous, Detonating (British Military Nomenclature), preceeded Cordtex. It consisted of TNT in a metal sheath. Remained in service until post WWII.

Mk. I - Lead sheath
Mk. II - Tin sheath
Mk. III - Tin/Lead alloy sheath.

Pre war Cordtex when still very much a 'Trade item' was available in three grades:
plain - brown
reinforced - red
braided.

Early in the war (1940) there is reference to an aluminium coloured Cordtex. In 1944 there is reference to plastic covered and bitumen covered Cordtex.

TimG

Does anyone want to talk about what WW2 Cordtex looked like? I have heard white or light gray like lead. Smooth like plastic or vinyl? I think I saw a photo that showed some kind of printed pattern. 1/4 inch/6mm diameter?

I don't want to hijack the original poster's question but if you all think it's been answered can we talk about Cordtex?
This is a coil of live plastic Cordtex airdropped to the Danish resistance. It is filled with 10 gram of Pentrite pr. meter.
Explosive_British_Cordtex_10gram.jpg