What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PE No.2 and Nobels 808 sizes?

Thanks T42,
Got it this time !
Tyke74,
If I screw up the printer I can't blame the other half as she, (thankfully), won't go near a computer. Anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained, except perhaps a bill for new printer.
Cheers,
Guy.

Hi,

You could always print the design on plain A4 paper and apply the wax after as I do. I have done this a number of times and it works quite well. Once you have made your stick you need some wax blocks from a craft type store, warm it up but don't melt it and then rub into the stick, leave to dry and then once set rub off any excess. A bit messy sometimes but effective.

Richard

Hi Navyman, forgot to add if you are going to do it that way use Good Quality Paper 100g/m2 plus for best results. It does not work well with cheep paper, the cheep paper wrinkles and spoils it.

Richard

Hi Richard709 when you say waxed blocks would candle wax do?? i have a dummy bundle but i would like to wax it

Thanks

That should work fine, Candle wax is quite hard so just try to warm the candle a little using your hands or a hand warmer or something like that, but don't use a flame as it will discolor the wax. You will probably need to do this 2 or 3 times allowing the wax to soak into the paper between each coating, or until you get the finish you want.

All the Best

Richard

Hello i know this is a bit old!! i have just got hold of some dummy wrappers how do you go about wrapping?? also does any one have a mock nobels wrapper??

Thanks

Chase

Hi chaps, New to all this, we are a research organisation and wanted to put some exhibits next to our research stand when we do the ww2 weekends. we are particularly interested in the railway charge with a pressure switch and nobel 808 charge. I have looked for a 808 wrapper but cannot find one and see that you have been discussing it here. I wondered if any of you had one. Also the size of the 808 is a bit confusing, The diameter is listed at 4.49 which seemsRailway.jpg a bit chubby. If any of you have made the pressure switch I would be really interested to hear your comments. I have attached a pic of the type of thing we would like to exhibit.

Hi Hangerman, we are the Coleshill Auxiliary Research Team researching the British Resistance Auxiliary Units 1940-44. We have researchers all over the UK and really want to make a better awareness by taking the organisation out onto the road. Anyone at Bletchley Park on the 26-27th May will find us there. We have re-enactors that we work with and should be a good weekend.

Hello, if you go to post 19 here you can copy the picture that Turpin added and print straight onto a plain bit of paper then all you need to do is wax it and roll around a wooden block, Nice set up with the fog igniter

Hallo,
that's a nice picture, but it does not represent the standardised allied WW2 derailment charge at all. British and especially american researchers spent hundreds of thousands of Dollars and pounds and a few years of working time in developing this. The early in the war used charge arrangement (double the charge as found according to the standard steel blasting formula) apparently did not work properly all the time and thats very frustrating for a saboteur that puts his life on the line. There is quite a lots of literature around depicting the development of this charge arrangement.
Regards,
Bellifortis.
Hi chaps, New to all this, we are a research organisation and wanted to put some exhibits next to our research stand when we do the ww2 weekends. we are particularly interested in the railway charge with a pressure switch and nobel 808 charge. I have looked for a 808 wrapper but cannot find one and see that you have been discussing it here. I wondered if any of you had one. Also the size of the 808 is a bit confusing, The diameter is listed at 4.49 which seemsView attachment 75915 a bit chubby. If any of you have made the pressure switch I would be really interested to hear your comments. I have attached a pic of the type of thing we would like to exhibit.

The Auxiliary Units had a variety of explosives and devices available to them and the inventory changed during the course of their existence. PE2 was issued to Aux Units for a time, in fact they were one of the earliest organisations to get RDX based PE. The availability of 'standard charges' produced by Station XII would be from about 1942 but by this time the priority would be SOE.

The Aux Units were not issued with the American fog signal relay (as shown in the photograph) manufacture of which was started late in 1944. British fog signals were used of course.

I have a couple of ICI display boards in my collection plus a few spare cartridges. The 808 wrapper was the same brown waxed paper as many other ICI/Nobel products. PM me if you want close ups of any of the cartridges.
Very nice display EXAT808.Is that backing just black cardboard?
Vinny

I see differing opinions about sizes of these sticks. Has anyone measured real ones? Are these safe assumptions?
PE No. 2 8 inch (20.3cm) by 1 1/4 inch (3.2cm)
808 4 inch (10.2cm) by 1 3/8 inch (3.5cm)

Were sticks all flat-ended or did any have recessed ends? Were they moulded with detonator holes or did the operator have to punch a hole? In bundles was it OK to put a detonator in-between sticks and tape to secure it?

Hi Guy's, i'm trying to build a display of Auxilliary explosives (inert...of course) from 1940, and I'm stuck for a NS Polar wrapper, can anyone help ?