What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37 X 158/B Hispano HS-606 exp

SG500

Premium Member
Recently obtained at Beltring...............
This is a belted 37mm case with a base (head) of 42.7mm.
Case length is 158mm
Headstamp is:
37-HS
S
F
I
4-53
Does anyone have any further information about the round/gun etc?
I am assuming its the HS-606 but could be wrong on this so any information would be happily received.
All INERT and empty.
Ta,
Dave.

Attachments

• 23rd July 2010 011.jpg
    23rd July 2010 011.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 23rd July 2010 012.jpg
    23rd July 2010 012.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 23rd July 2010 013.jpg
    23rd July 2010 013.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 100
Was this from someone who knew what they were selling or just an "old shell case" from a militaria stall?

Was this from someone who knew what they were selling or just an "old shell case" from a militaria stall?

Don't worry this one wasn't out of a junk box, someone brought it along and offered it to me (he did have a stall), I just couldn't leave it behind.
Dave.

I just have that listed as postwar Hispano-Suiza - I don't have any more details.

Dave, I'm just about to start preparing the September ECRA Bulletin: if you can email me some high-res photos I'll include it in that.

I just have that listed as postwar Hispano-Suiza - I don't have any more details.

Dave, I'm just about to start preparing the September ECRA Bulletin: if you can email me some high-res photos I'll include it in that.

OK thanks Tony will do.
Dave.

Nice case!

And a very nice case that is too SG500, never saw one until you came up with that one, it will be interesting to see if any more information turns up !

Not 100% sure,
but i think that i have seen one like this about 10 years ago , here in France ...

... only one

Last edited:
I now have this case and have had a replica projectile made for it, using a drawing from Bob Gerber. Unfortunately, Bob knows no more about it except to confirm that it was made for the HS 606. There is also a reference to the HS 603/606 in 30 x 158 in answer to the French 7 CGA requirement, and was developed by AME.

I'm almost sure you have it, but here's the SFM drawing (bad quality, best i have) of the case

Attachments

• 37mm HS606 experimental (TR.53038).jpg
    37mm HS606 experimental (TR.53038).jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for that. What I'd really like to see is an illustration of the 30x158 round (there's a pic of the case in Jacquinet's excellent book on the 30mm DEFA guns and ammo development).

Below is a pic of the 37x158B with the replica projectile made by Mick Wilkinson, above the Soviet 37x155 N-37 round for comparison:

HS606.jpg

I wonder if I got the wrong title to the thread.....is the 37mm the HS 606 or is it the 30mm that Hasag has just shown?

Dave.