What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British long delay N17

kz11gr

Hello

The dangerous graal :

langzeit%20z%C3%BCnder.gif

attachment.php

attachment.php

homer-drool.jpg

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I know of a few guys who have them and they gard them with there own live, dogs and booby traps :xd:
And there is also one how gave one away :tinysmile_cry_t4: and is still hurting him inside :xd:

Hi all,
Yes, i'm again here with a difficult question !
I'll ask it first on Mrfuze, if he can't answer or if someone can answer quickly, let you go !

What's this model of Pist 17 ? Mk I, II, III,... ?

I ask this question with two reason : this 2 blades vane is not so common and yesterday, one of our teams found a GP250lb MkIII with the remnants of this pistol WITH the vane. The team leader should be happy if he could known what kind of Pist No 17 he blow up !

Yoda

I'm surprised to hear that this fuze is so rare nowadays. A lots were dropped on Germany in the beginning of WW2. It is now more than 80 years since its inception. British colonial forces tested it on live subjects in the 1930s in Waziristan according to the old colonial doctrine "Shock and Awe" to demoralize the tribesmen, when bombs, that seemed to be duds, exploded suddenly. That first model, sticking out a long way from the back of the bomb, was countered, in Germany, by a small charge placed on it, that bent the long fuzetube and made it unworkble. This was countered by the later shortened versions that disappeared inside the bomb. This was much more difficult to defuze and has cost the lives of quite a few EOD men in the last 70 years.

Hi Yodamaster. Regarding the differences in Marks of the No. 17 Pistol, the early Marks (possibly only the Mk. I) had Lead anti-withdrawal lugs instead of the locking balls in later Marks; the Mk. I Pistol had no anti-withdrawal feature and the Mk. III was similar to the Mk. II except that the safety pin hole was larger and the safety spider was thinner. The Pistol was used early in the War - before the No. 37 Pistol came into service, but because of the unreliability of the No 37 - it caused many accidents among RAF armourers - the No 17 was re-introduced for a short period in 1944/45 for use in 250 and 500 lb GP bombs. I hope this helps. Regards eodda