What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2lbr confusion?

navyman

Hello all,
I've just stripped the paint from a 2lbr projectile and the nose seems to be made of filler. Can anyone tell me if this should have a fuze fitted or is it more likely to be a repair to a pointed projectile? I don't want to hack it about to look for a fuze cavity if it's not neccessary.
Thanks in advance,
navyman.

Attachments

• 2Lbdr 1a.jpg
    2Lbdr 1a.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 2lbr without paint 1a.jpg
    2lbr without paint 1a.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 101
Hi it could be a proof round. These were flat topped then someone has added the filler to make it look like a service round.
Andy

Rusty projectile.

Looks like it may be a rusty projo that has been filled to remove some large pits.
Also Andy could be correct, so the only way to tell accurately would be to drill a hole into the filler and see whether or not it will drill beyond a small distance.

2 pdr shot

Hi,but what are the markings on this? it looks way too long to be a standard 2 pdr shot. Seeing as its pitted anyway why not remove the filler? Cheers Tig.:xd:

I had at one stage a 2 pdr "practice" projectile which had a flat top - perhaps it was originally one of these and "converted" to an AP projectile???

From memory the flat tops ones were less common.....

Cheers
Drew