What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

I'll have to check Mel Carpenter's book on MBA and their gyrojets, etc. I got the item from Mel when he dissolved his collection.

I think there were 2 gyrojet spear guns made and he had both. Lol. Would you see if there is info on them in the book. Thanks

I checked the glossary and saw nothing, did a quick run through and didn't see anything either, but at over 400 pages I could have easily missed it. I highly recommend the book, it is worth every penny and still available from the author, through IAA and elsewhere.

IMG_1416.jpg

Sorry, forgot about this. I've only got a couple, I recommend Matt Collins' book if you want in-depth information on these and many other pistol caliber AP pieces.

IMG_1410.jpgIMG_1411.jpgIMG_1414.jpgIMG_1415.jpg

Thanks I have not seen the Collins book. It occured to me that if I don't label some on mine, one day, nobody will know what they are.

He normally has a table at SLICS and has both the book and plenty of ammo examples for sale as well. He's also done presentations during the evening sessions.

Thanks. I never have made it to one of their shows. I have heard that with the volume and diversity and there is not enough time to see it all.

Copdoc,

If you are interested in obtaining information concerning the gyrojet spear gun then I would suggest that you join the IAA Forum and pose any questions you have on the subject there as Mel Carpenter is a regular participant on the forum. On pages 188 -189 of has book "MBA Gyrojets and Other Ordnance" he shows pictures of the underwater Lancejet spear for the 13mm (Gyrojet) Survival Pistol. Mel's book is still available and can be ordered from him.

In a recent IAA Forum discussion Matt Collins briefly mentioned he has just sent off some new manuscripts for printing which means he will probably have additional/new publications, typically in printed and digital format, at SLICS (April 12 - 15, 2017, St. Louis, MO).

As far as attending SLICS goes I can tell you (I can only attend for 1 day) that the quantity and quality of displays and trading material is extensive and for a 1 day visit it is overwhelming. So if you can attend then I highly recommend you do so.

Brian

Thanks Brian
I look at the AAI forum from time to time but so many forums and so little time.

I have been fascinated by gyrojets and the diversity of prototypes. I may "NEED" that book.

One of my friends went to the SLICS shows and told me a day or 2 is plenty, if you are only interested in French 7mm pinfire shot ctgs. Otherwise if you just have a general interest in ammo it's overwhelming like you said. I would like to see it.

BTW last PM and this AM I labled some of my own that would be hard to ID when I'm gone.

If you ever have another open house that might be even better than the show. References can be provided.

Doc I think you are mixing Brian and I up, but either way - SLICS is well worth it no matter how much time you spend. We normally arrive on Tuesday and do the first two days walking the hotel halls - the hotel (4 Star) supports the show and allows in-room trading - as you walk down the hall if you see an open door walk on in - folks pile stuff on their beds for sale. Some of the best stuff of the show can sometimes be found then. We usually depart the show by Saturday, exhausted and broke, but pretty content and with a full load. I'll be making room reservations for this year in the next week or two, our table at the show is already paid for.

Yes I did mix you up. Apologies to you both. I am reading on this little phone most of the time.

info on the 30mm gyrojet here. Looks like up date to book is on line. 30mm very rare, use unknown, likely HEAT
http://www.gyrojet.net/ch29.pdf

"MBA Gyrojets and Other Ordnance
30mm Gyrojets
Live MBA 30mm rockets are rare, and the one that
was part of the group of Gyrojets just acquired is theonly live specimen of its type I’ve seen. Fortunately,its solid aluminum nose and fuze are inert. A dummy made from a fired case is shown in Figure 17-36(E)on page 249.

Took a couple of days off work this week, had three deals going at once - a donation, a purchase and a trade. Ended up with an as yet unidentified missile/target missile radar seeker head, a French/US transport box for an SS-11 AT missile, some Japanese bomb fuzes, a practice HB-876, some new hand tools and a load of miscellaneous bs stuff that came mixed in with everything else. There was a lot of junk in the last, but a few interesting items as well.

IMG_1518.jpgIMG_1519.jpgIMG_1520.jpgIMG_1521.jpgIMG_1522.jpgIMG_1523.jpgIMG_1524.jpgIMG_1525.jpgIMG_1529.jpgIMG_1530.jpgIMG_1531.jpgIMG_1536.jpgIMG_1526.jpgIMG_1528.jpgIMG_1532.jpg

No one recognizes the seeker head? Any of you old Navy types out there?

Thanks John.
If the article is accurate then it appears it is for the full-fledged missile, not a target. Not the way the Army would have designated it, but that's the Navy for you. On the plus side all I need is another 13 feet of parts and I'll have a full Harpoon.

If you scan further through the Pdf, it shows all the configurations. It can be built into a Tartar or an ASROC also.

I think I'll hold out for the Harpoon parts..... Though I wouldn't turn the others down.

They have one at the Hill AFB museum. I have a photo from 2011.

If you build the AF version, you don't need the 30 inches of launch booster.

Attachments

• Harpoon trimmed.jpg
    Harpoon trimmed.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back from SLICS - good show, good people. As Slick mentions in his thread, we were missing a few of our main ordnance dealers this time around. One I'm not sure why, one had family medical issues that took priority, and one had some recent legal issues that may have affected things. Hopefully we see the return of things to normal in the next year or so. Happy to see folks again this year, recognized 5-6 BOCN faces and I've heard from at least a couple of others that I somehow missed.

There were at least 8 dealers with significant amounts of ammo over 20mm, more than all but the largest shows in the country. I managed to find a few items to buy, a few to trade, some stuff was given to find a home in the Bombatorium and then I simply focused on some smaller things, updating the SA collection with some of the newer rounds and adding about 100 boxes to the .22 collection. If you haven't seen the new Navy .50 cal round take a look, it is pretty neat.

We've got much of it on the shelf already, cleared, photographed and placed. Still some of the smaller pieces to go, the SA and small arms will take the longest. Found a couple of grenade pieces, a couple of submunitions, a number of fuzes, some shape charge cones, some propellant, a bit of pyro, two Navy 8-inch, a German 15cm, a few 10cm cases, a couple of 30mm and other assorted bits and pieces. Finished off with a couple of hot leads that will hopefully bring a couple of other choice pieces home, time will tell.

Enjoy the photos -

DSC_1540.jpgDSC_1562.jpgDSC_1563.jpgDSC_1565.jpgDSC_1566.jpgDSC_1575.jpgDSC_1586.jpgDSC_1607.jpgDSC_1608.jpgDSC_1609.jpgDSC_1619.jpgDSC_1620.jpgDSC_1621.jpgDSC_1622.jpgDSC_1623.jpgDSC_1627.jpgIMG_1553.jpgIMG_1556.jpgIMG_1557.jpgIMG_1558.jpg