What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Not sure, I'll have to look. I received the two 5-inch rounds at the same time as the 16-inch, and it demanded all of my free time to get it stood up and moved into position. They were saved from a demil line, so the fuze well is cut, but otherwise I have not checked.

They have great paint. I don't have any painted in that pattern

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

Got lucky yesterday. Drove over 200 miles on a tip of a "practice bomb and maybe some other ordnance". Once I got there I expressed interest in the bomb, whereupon the price doubled, as "if you don't have it I know it must be special". Still well worth it, actual ID is a 1930s 30lb mustard bomb, M46A1. It was kept in a dark storage room, and you cannot see the nomenclature unless you are in sunlight or under a flash. An interesting color, but as the nomenclature is still present it must be pretty close to original. I like that the original hex chemical adapter is there with the cork still in place.

DSCN6114.JPGDSCN6115.jpgDSCN6116.jpg

This is the only one I've ever seen outside of a museum. Happy to have found it.

I'm noticing the very consistent welding on the bomb where the dome meets the sides. That type of consistent pattern is seen quite often from very experienced Tig welders who can move exactly the same amount every time with the same amount of rod or some type of special machine with a rotary table. Very interesting, but it makes sense for something that needs to contain dangerous chemicals.

Due mostly to their size they were obsolete almost as soon as they were manufactured. They did not stick around long and few were made. How this one made it to a moving company in Detroit I have no idea.

I had a tip this weekend of a bomb-in-a-box that was for sale. Brought this home with me.

IMG_0709.JPGIMG_0710.JPGIMG_0711.jpg

A good time at SLICS. Here are some of the most recent acquisitions.

DSCN6260.jpgDSCN6263.JPGDSC_1386.jpg

Thanks, I was happy to get it. Even better, it was a freebie.

I really feel secure in that they literally corked the round. I can see where you were in the area and heard the pop of a champagne bottle and would soil your linen!

I know what you mean. I normally figure I can do one or the other, not enough cash to do both. For me though, SLICS is as much a meeting of great people in different disciplines and an opportunity to network. If you have questions or want to set up something, they are all in one room and happy to talk. That tips the balance for me.

WWII US trainer for German fuzes. I've seen them a couple of times before, but never had a chance to pick one up. Has a booster cup and a wooden dowel for fill.