Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: The Bombatorium

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,455 Times in 921 Posts
    The dates and initials seem to fit - the group of materials came through a cartridge collector - he purchased the group plus a large quantity of small arms from the family of a gentleman that was described as having owned a gun shop some years ago and had general interest in many things. The grenades were a big plus, it has been some time since I've seen an M34 available that wasn't a demil patch job, and I haven't come across a Beano in the wild for several years. Not sure if this was any sort of official desktop piece or a home done job, no plaque or markings.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

2. The Following User Says Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

1989rjb (13th October 2017)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-ww1-...-product,19935

I could find no reference for the tin ever being a cleaning kit. Maybe repurposed, but not as issued.
    My grandmother used one to hold some of her sewing supplies. Wish I'd inherited it.

Just found this. See page 44

https://history.army.mil/html/museum...upd_Jul09).pdf
    Last edited by Slick; 13th October 2017 at 02:43 PM.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Thanks
    As Slick said above the tin is a U.S. Model 1916 Bacon Can.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    On the money. I honestly thought you were joking though - bacon was on the absolute bottom of my guess list. Thanks -
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-ww1-...-product,19935

I could find no reference for the tin ever being a cleaning kit. Maybe repurposed, but not as issued.
    My grandmother used one to hold some of her sewing supplies. Wish I'd inherited it.

Just found this. See page 44

https://history.army.mil/html/museum...upd_Jul09).pdf
    Thanks for the link as well - great info on web/misc gear that I have little or no references on.

Thanks
    Went to a militaria show on Friday, picked up some nice Japanese trinkets, plus a couple of other items. The fuzes were the best part of the lot, some are getting very hard to find. The grenades are a bit strange. The black lump is an Iraq bring-back, a Mills bomb throwing dummy cast out of aluminum. There appear to be two Arabic characters on the side, but I have not been able to get them to show up well on a picture yet. It may take actual effort -
    I haven't seen a MK II body like this before, it has softer segments and a sharp and deep ledge at the top. No markings of any kind. I don't know if it is a variation, or an older fake souvenir grenade.
    I took the Type 97 grenade and the 50mm mortar because they are great examples of some of the worst Japanese ordnance cleaning I've ever seen. The mortar has sections of 2-3mm thick TNT still in place on the sides, the grenade looks as though it was washed out with acetone and then left to dry without emptying it - about a half cm of crystals completely covering the inside. I'm drafting an article for a journal on handling of recovered Japanese mortars, these will illustrate a couple of points very well. The Type 97 also has a brass tube instead of copper, I don't think I've ever seen that before either.

The US 20mm is the first I've seen with this particular souvenir label - kind of interesting with the aircraft tie-in and all.

IMG_1956.jpgIMG_1957.jpgIMG_1958.jpgIMG_1949.jpgIMG_1964.jpgIMG_1965.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

Spgr30 (20th November 2017)

Thanks

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

apfsds (20th November 2017), Spgr30 (20th November 2017), Weasel (25th November 2017)

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041