What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Been buried with requests about my latest project since returning home, and the continued reason my library is still in storage.... So for those who keep asking me, here is a brief update on the progress of the Bombatorium - my eventual (the project from hell) new home for the collection, library, and my office.

First picture, exterior is nearly finished. 50' long by 40' deep, 2000 square feet on the ground floor.

Pictures 2-6 are various views of the ground floor. Lots of overhead support gives me excellent capacity to hang whater I want off the ceiling or move anything upstairs. Furnace and water heater to be installed next week.

Attachments

• DSC_0194.jpg
    DSC_0194.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC_0195.jpg
    DSC_0195.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 588
  • DSC_0198.jpg
    DSC_0198.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC_0199.jpg
    DSC_0199.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 506
  • DSC_0207.jpg
    DSC_0207.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 459
Second floor is for the office and library. Overall dimensions are 25' x 50', for another 1250 square feet. 1st picture is an early view, to give an idea of the space. 2-3 will become the office, 4-6 will be for the bookshelves. Not shown is the third floor, which is an additional 800 square feet of starage space. More updates in a few weeks.

Attachments

• DSCN1589.jpg
    DSCN1589.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_0200.jpg
    DSC_0200.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC_0205.jpg
    DSC_0205.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC_0202.jpg
    DSC_0202.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC_0203.jpg
    DSC_0203.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0201.jpg
    DSC_0201.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 212
Home?

Hey Subs,
That is a fantastic home , is it going to be yours. when you get older you will hate that two story :)
John

Wow Jeff, can hardly wait to see bombatorium when it is done. What a huge building to house your stuff..............Dano

Great job Subs, must have been hard working in the past months to build it all up.
Regards, DJH

WOW great Job what a space, looks great so far can't wait to see how it looks when its all done.

Not much work on my part, mostly chasing the contractors and paying the bills. Currently waiting on inspectors to approve plumbing, heating and electric, then the contractors can finally start putting up the wallboard. The plan is to finish the upstairs first, so I can get my office set up and start unpacking books. The main floor will be later, followed by a month or two of moving bullets and bombs.

Very very nice, I bet you can't wait to fill it up with all those lovely bits of metal that we all like:tinysmile_shy_t:

Dave.

And here I am struggling with

reworking a 6' x 7' ex Pantry room, good thing the 37's are small, Sigh~:tinysmile_cry_t2:

It's so small I can't even get a good picture of it !

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I really like the big open space in your new building! I need to work on an addition to Bombatorium West when I get caught up on some finances. Damn bombs take up a lot of floor space.

Yeah, I looked at what I've seen in private collections, museum displays and EOD shops, then took the yard space available and gave it my best shot. I'm trying to draw from the best I've seen and mix it into one space that can do everything. I'm using your idea for the mobile shelves, as I think that this will give me the most flexibility without needing periodic major ovehauling.

Armourer, I am still hoping to have a grand opening, with all the old folks invited, but before I can plan something like that I will need to know when it might be completed - I think my contractor is in Tahiti right now, but next time I see him I will look for an estimated completion date (again). Then add shelf-building time, painting, moving ordnance, setting up bookshelves - may be a while yet.

Bombatorium

If your contractor is in Tahiti I doubt you will ever see him again Jeff.

Are we invited for yhe party?

Chris

Of course, and Eric can even bring presents!

Jeff,

I saw what looked like the mobile shelves in one of your photos. It looks like you might need to angle the bottom, so the bottom layer leans back against the angle going up.