What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Very impressive space! I would suggest putting in a trap door in the second story floor. It would make things alot easier bringing heavy items up. A simple winch to a ceiling joist an viola 155mm shells upstairs and no slipped disc's, just a thought.

While they tell me that we have enough support to put a truck up there, the current plan is that the second floor is for my office and the library. I expect to use one wall upstairs for hand and rifle grenades, and I have four good sized cabinets for small arms (<40mm) but nothing larger is intended right now, other than the occasional cornerpiece. The books are expected to take up plenty of room on their own, plus I want to leave room to grow.

Latest update, to answer questions from friends.

Ground floor (1-4), drywall is nearly finished, a little more sanding and it will be ready for paint, probably next week. Then the floor will get coated and the posts will get boxed in, lights installed, etc.

Second floor (5-6) - plan is to get the library done first, so I can start moving in bookshelves, books, cabinets, etc. With minor details to be completed that should start tomorrow night.

Office still needs some work (7) its currently the staging area for the library. It will be the focus next week, contractors assure me it will not take long.

Third floor (8) - we have pre-staged books that were shipped home into the storage area (about one ton) so that they can simply be moved downstairs once the additional bookcases are in. Still seven large bookshelves in the old office to be emptied and moved.

In addition, before the kids went back to college (slave labor) we pre-staged some of the collection into the garage (9-10), putting about 1/3rd of the collection over half way to its new home.

Getting close, moving fast, but still a long way to go.

Attachments

• DSC_0289.jpg
    DSC_0289.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_0271.jpg
    DSC_0271.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 515
  • DSC_0272.jpg
    DSC_0272.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 496
  • DSC_0279.jpg
    DSC_0279.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC_0283.jpg
    DSC_0283.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC_0276.jpg
    DSC_0276.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_0280.jpg
    DSC_0280.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC_0287.jpg
    DSC_0287.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0288.jpg
    DSC_0288.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC_0290.jpg
    DSC_0290.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 309
Hey Subs, That's gonna be an impressive display of your collection. I'm sure it won't take long to fill.:tinysmile_hmm_t: Looks cool, it will be neat to see.

Hi Subs, what will go in the attic?
John

John, the attic will be used for general storage - since I expect to have enough room for a change I'm not sure what specifically I need it for, but you can never have enough storage space. It was dead area and built more than strong enough, so I couldn't resist.

GI J, there is discussion about an open-house/grand opening, but we still don't know how long till its finished, I build more shelves, get moved in, etc, so the date is up in the air. Stay tuned.

I presume you will also live in the museum? Better alarm it.
John

Very nice indeed US-Subs, I hate to say this but the collection is looking a little cramped, do you think there's room to expand there or are you going to build an extension in a year or two:tinysmile_grin_t:
Dave.

I presume you will also live in the museum? Better alarm it.
John

Taken care of. SG500, we think that we will have plenty of room, but we've never actually put everything together in one area before, so we'll have to keep you posted and keep an open mind....

bombatorium

Hi Jeff, Looks to me that you'll end up with a set up that would make some museums jealous. I can hardly wait to see some snaps of the finished product. Many of us would kill just to get your attic space. I would imagine you will spend a great deal of your spare time in your office/library. Best of luck in your endeavor.......Dano

finnaly I got to look at the pictures. I did not see any mention of a Bar, don't tell me you forgot about a cantine. You could brew and offer your own beer as long as you design an exclusive label.

Damn Wilfried, I didn't know you still knew how to type! Your first post finally!!

My old office will become the guest room (you know the bed well), as for the bar, hmmmm- The refridgerator is already in the new office space, but so far only stocked with D. Coke. Work has been eating into my bullet time lately, but I hope to have the office and library done this week and ready for me to move into on the weekend. I've already got most stuff up there, but had to stay clear of the walls while they finish trim, paint, electrical outlets etc. I'll take some update photos this weekend.

About half of the ordnance is moved in on the ground floor, same issue. Currently everything is on shelves in the center of the room, away from walls or where the lights will be. Ground floor should be done inside by the end of next week, with prep to finalize the outside and pour concrete for the driveway starting right after. Then the real work begins, as I get back to trying to figure out how to display everything.

Latest progress. Still some way to go.

Driveway is poured, plenty of concrete now and out of the mud, though its still too soon to drive on. I've got about 50% of the ordnance into the ground floor, currently just shoved onto shelving and stacked under plastic till the contractors are done. Still need furnace, water heater, and ground floor lights, then I can start spreading out and getting better shelving completed. (1-4)

I've started moving into my office, got the computer up and running, the fridge plugged in and my desk in place. Plumbers should be in soon to complete the bathroom. Need to start hanging some stuff on the walls... (5-6)

The library is about 90% on the shelves, but not sorted yet. Cabinets are in place, but not moving the small stuff in till the alarms are up and running. (7-8)

Lots of progress, but still lots to do. The real work begins soon, when I can no longer blame the delays on the contractor.

Attachments

• DSC_0300.jpg
    DSC_0300.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_0301.jpg
    DSC_0301.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_0302.jpg
    DSC_0302.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_0303.jpg
    DSC_0303.jpg