What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 inch

noggen666

can any one give me some info on 2 inch smoke mortars not WP bursting just the plain smoke rounds from ww2 time plans of said items would be good or info from some one or other who has had dealings with these rounds i need the info on smoke rounds only if that helps i want to see how the smoke system worked on them as i am interested in the functioning of these rounds as in my pics it says that there is a black powder charge in the base with a 5 second delay to start the compound in the main body is this correct and would the black powder charge still be live after the smoke has burnt off
noggen

" inch Mor Smoke

The 2 inch Mortar bomb Smoke consists of a three studded cap for night identification a steel tubular body rolled at the rear to accept a plated Brass (cast) four holed insert that also has a male whitworth thread on the end to accept a "Maizac" cast set of fins which is threaded for an end cap (Again maizac) which retains a cartridge of the 28 Bore calibre filled with the propelling charge.
See attached picture-paintwork is NOT original but a fair simulation.
On firing the propelling charge would burst the four (thick silver foil) seals and the charge would be lit which in turn would ignite the smoke composition which then exits from the four rear holes in the Brass casting above the tail unit.
These bombs are generally of very short life once fired as the smoke compound is very corrosive and will "eat" the steel components within a matter of months.
Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• 2 in Mor SMK.JPG
    2 in Mor SMK.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 77
thanks mate as i thought it worked really having trouble with the powers over this one at the mo thanks for clearing that up