What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's in the Tin?

GregN

Hi all, I picked this tin up a few weeks ago and learned a valuable lesson. Always take pictures before you take things apart.:sad: It took me forever to figure out how to put everything back into the tin. These seem stupidly hard-to-find here in Canada. Even though these are British, I couldn't say no.

Greg

Attachments

• Gren1.jpg
    Gren1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 116
  • Gren2.jpg
    Gren2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Gren3.jpg
    Gren3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 130
  • Gren4.jpg
    Gren4.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Gren5.jpg
    Gren5.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Gren7.jpg
    Gren7.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Gren8.jpg
    Gren8.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hi Greg,
Nice tin and contents. Are you sure they are British? I thought MG was Australian? Were the tins issued separatly from the box of grenades or included with them?
Cheers
Hangarman

Hi Hangerman, Aussi? I have no idea, I haven't begun to research these yet:tinysmile_angry_t:

MG-Footscray.

I could be wrong but I think MG is Australian Ordnance factory "Footscray" and the tin also bears the letters "PV" which is another one I do not recognise-Australian also perhaps?

Very nice tin and contents.

I could be wrong but I think MG is Australian Ordnance factory "Footscray" and the tin also bears the letters "PV" which is another one I do not recognise-Australian also perhaps?
QUOTE]

Hi Chris,

Yes "MG" does stand for the No 2 Footscay factories:

http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

Not sure about "PV", not covered in the above link.

Cheers
Drew

BTW - "Stupid Question" - was there a specific cartridge used for the rifle grenades i.e. "HIZ" as shown above?

Hi Paul, there are three base plates in the tin. Each plate has a cardboard "donut" which fits over the threaded stud to protect the stud. There are also dense cardboard plates that separate the individual base plates so that they don't clink together. I assume the rounds all have the same headstamp as I only unwrapped one round of the four in the tin.

Greg

Tin

The H1Z cartridge was the issue cartridge for the cup discharger. (H indicates grenade discharging, 1 is Mark I and the Z for nitrocellulose propellant). The normal charge was 30 grains of ballistite but 31 grns of "Superim" or Hercules 81mm mortat propellant were also used.

The tin exhibits an interesting range of dates. The tin is 1952, the baseplates 1954 and the cartridges wartime stock from 1944.

Regards
TonyE

Hi all, I picked this tin up a few weeks ago and learned a valuable lesson. Always take pictures before you take things apart.:sad: It took me forever to figure out how to put everything back into the tin. These seem stupidly hard-to-find here in Canada. Even though these are British, I couldn't say no.

Greg

Looking through some 1944 dated Design Department drawings a day or so ago I found one showing a tin holding 3 gas check plates and 4 propelling cartridges for the No 36 Grenade. I remembered Greg's recent posting and was rather surprised to find 'recent' was close to eight years ago! Herewith the drawing:

DD(L)21244 Packing 3 Gas Checks etc scan6042.jpg