What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Needed to ID 20-pdr Shot Projectile

Juzzy

Hello,

I am completely new to collecting projectiles and have just received my very first purchase. I do not have a clue as to its origin or age, and was hoping some of the experts here could help me get started by ID'ing it !!!

It has a mass of 8.8kg (19.4lbs), is 230mm (9 inches) long, and around 86mm (3.4 inches) in diameter. It appears to be completely solid, except for a shallow cavity in the base (is this where a tracer compound went ?).

Also, can anyone recommend the best books & websites for projectile collecting ?

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received. Thanks.

Justin.

Attachments

• Projectile 1.JPG
    Projectile 1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Projectile 2.jpg
    Projectile 2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 19
^^

Yeah, that would be my first guess too, driving band seems to be the right size and the other dimensions seem to fit. i have around 3.44in for diameter and 9.33in for length, so to speak. and 20lb should be the approximate weight.

Mark.

25 Pounder AP shot

Glevum is I think correct as it certainly looks like a 25 pounder AP round and should nave a hole in the rear that measures about 12.7mm diameter by 48 mm deep possibly with a counterbore of 16mm by 8mm deep-for tracer compound as you say.

Also so the wavy line pattern to retain and prevent driving band slip is typical of a British produced AP shot.

So now you have the bug?

Thanks

Thanks heaps for the ID guys. I guess I do have the bug now.....I just love how chunky and heavy these things are !!! :bigsmile:

Thanks for link !!!

Thanks for the link Dave, I'm slowly working my way through the list :tinysmile_grin_t: