What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Limpet mine

Fjordhouse

Ordnance approved
Hello, i found this items on the Detling show last week, very happy Ben

Attachments

• limpet-1.jpg
    limpet-1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 235
  • limpet-2.jpg
    limpet-2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 200
  • limpet-3.jpg
    limpet-3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 186
  • limpet-4.jpg
    limpet-4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 180
  • limpet-5.jpg
    limpet-5.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 166
Nice one Ben, very good. I wonder who got the other one. I understand it was a slightly different type.
Dave.

Hi Ben, Though mines are not among what I collect, I know what I like and I really like this one. It is a beauty, good snag.....Dano

Rigid Limpet Mark I

Hello, i found this items on the Detling show last week, very happy Ben

Nice to see a Mk I (or IA) Rigid Limpet. Development started on them in 1941 as a replacement for the MD1 versions. Early experiments were done at SOE Station IX (Welwyn) and Portsmouth dockyard but the substantial progress was acheived at Station XII (Aston House). There are a number of experimental variations but the first 'production' type had 10 magnets quickly replaced by the six magnet version (the Mark I) when the Alcomax magnet came along. The Mark IA differs from the Mark I simply by the addition of a rubber sealing washer in the filling cap. The 'more common' Mark II has a well underneath to take an anti-removal switch. A Mark III was designed at the end of 1943 which had a large filler cap at each end. Development of the Mark III ceased in 1944 and I don't believe any were issued to the field. Just 33,500 of the British Rigid Limpet were manufactured during the war. I say British because the Americans made a copy for use by OSS, it had a plastic body and frame.

[Ref HS7 Files at PRO]

Today i finally got a Magnet for my Limpet MkII which was missing one from the day i got this, Thank You Bonnex, 2 additional pictures of the set i have, still need anti removal switch for the well or blanking plug, the protection plate is for a Mk1 i need and plate with hole in for fitting the anti removal switch, im not sure if my life span can for fill the last 2 wants ,,,,,,, Dave

HPIM0371.jpg HPIM0372.jpg HPIM0373.jpg

Today i finally got a Magnet for my Limpet MkII which was missing one from the day i got this, Thank You Bonnex, 2 additional pictures of the set i have, still need anti removal switch for the well or blanking plug, the protection plate is for a Mk1 i need and plate with hole in for fitting the anti removal switch, im not sure if my life span can for fill the last 2 wants ,,,,,,, Dave

View attachment 101945 View attachment 101946 View attachment 101947

Dave,

A bit of pedantic stuff:

The wooden block in the AC Delay tin holds a No 28A Burster. This burster was obsolete by the time the Mark II Rigid Limpet came into service. The Mark II Rigid Limpet used an AC Delay with an ES6 Burster in a short wooden block. The AC Delay set with a No28A Burster (dummy) is uncommon.

The device at the bottom of your picture is a Waterproof Initiation Unit with the body of a Mark II AC Delay screwed into it. They are different generations and don't go together. The Mk II AC Delay is wartime and only 5000 were made. The WIU presents its output on a Cordtex tail so could conceivably be used to function a limpet mine but the Rigid Limpet was theoretically out of service by the time the WIU came along.

Some sorting out needed with lot then, I know the delay tin was early as no markings, another limpet required to go with that tin, the WIU come incomplete I did see a complete one with the cordtex tail once but could not remember what was on the end of it, the ignited fitted so went on, thanks for clearing that up, another picture will be taken and added to the post,,,,,,,, Dave

Old thread but have to say I would love to own a limpet like this to go with my A.C. Delay. Even a reproduction would be acceptable for public displays I intend to do. I am aware of the one Relics makes. Anyone else make replicas?

Need a burster too!

John

I'm with you on that John, a Limpet Mine has been at the top of my wish list for a long time.

I did buy a reproduction example last year that isn't too bad looking, but it does not have any magnetic capability.

John