What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian cartridge case

charley777

Hello. This is an interesting cartridge case as it has a concave base. If there are any other calibres/cases with such a base i would be keen to see photos/ gather information.

I have only limited info on this one, and would like to know more.
From another forum a couple of years ago i learnt that it is for the Cannone da 76/45 AA (in turn based on a Schneider 1911 naval gun).

As can be seen from the photos, it is a very long and narrow (straight tapered) case.The concavity in the base is about 7mm deep.
Case is 692mm long and has a rim diameter of only 94mm.
It is , obviously, made in Germany...

Any info on the Italian and French guns ? Pictures or links would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 76.2x692R   with 3in 50cal (76.2x595R) for scale.jpg
    76.2x692R with 3in 50cal (76.2x595R) for scale.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 76.2x692R  concave base.JPG
    76.2x692R concave base.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 76.2x692R  hs.JPG
    76.2x692R hs.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 168
Forgot to ask :- any info/photos/drawings of projectiles please.
And if anyone has one spare.......:tinysmile_grin_t:

There are a number of different caliber concave head Schneider cartridge cases. I have at least 2 different sizes. I will need to take some photos and measurements.

Hi

yes it would fit into the italian "Canone da 76/45 S. 1911", but it is possible that also other countries bought this gun from Schneider. And I am not 100% sure if this was produced for italy. First because of the year 1915 - in 1915 Italy declared war to germany, and second because of the primer diameter, which not looks italian.

The gun was a naval quick firing gun which was also used for AA purposes by the Italians. Official italian case length is 693,5 mm. And as Hazord said, the italian had for example the Schneider 102/45 which also had such a concave base.

Last edited:
concave base

Might I suggest a SEARCH as I think this has come up before. 2pr

Base

Interesting case. Can anyone give a reason for the concave base. Was the breech seal convex?

Concave-based cartridge.

OK thanks very much. This is the same case as enquired about previously , you were correct 2pounder , and as i am also in new Zealand it all makes sense.I bought it through a local auction site . The previous answers linked me to some wk2ammo pages and so the answers arrive (-:
I would be very interested to see photos and dimensions of your cases ,
Hazord , when you have time to do it. Thanks.
So these cartridges/guns were used into WW2 as well....as shown by Fert on the wk2ammo page. Nice looking projectile too.....
Can anyone provide a link to info on the gun(s)?

Here are some pictures

75mm shell (length 688mm)
296a.jpg296.jpg

90mm shell (length 674mm)
364a.jpg364.jpg

Regards,

Jf

PS
Does anybody have a picture of a shell with a picture of an icebear?

Last edited:
Thanks Jf for posting these photos.
Great pair of cases ! Look new....
Any chance of telling us the base diameters, please?

French 75 mm: 110 mm rim
French 90 mm: 130 mm rim

Until now I only have these 2 cases with concave like Jef. Mine are also inter-war.

Does anybody recognize this 57 mm case with concave bottom? It is marked 57 SC which should translate in 57 mm Schneider-Canet. Length is about 280 mm (not my measurements). I have not seen this type of case ever before.

Attachments

• 57 SC BS.jpg
    57 SC BS.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 57 SC huls.jpg
    57 SC huls.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 29
Not yet, I am in the process of purchasing the case so I can share actual dimensions.