What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.280 Labels

TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Continuing showing some interesting labels.

Most are .280 as opposed to .280/30, but if you look at the label for the grenade launching round you will see that it says "New Rim", meaning it has been changed to U.S. .30 dimensions, i.e. it is a .280/30.

The 7mm Mark 1z label is for the last batch of 7mm made by RG in 1970 for a project at the School of Infantry.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 280 tracer.jpg
    280 tracer.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 280 Observing.jpg
    280 Observing.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 280 API.jpg
    280 API.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 280 alloy.jpg
    280 alloy.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 280-30 Grenade.jpg
    280-30 Grenade.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 7mm 1z.jpg
    7mm 1z.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 46
Tony,
Do you know a source to visually ID color tips on .270, .280, and .280/30 rounds? There are two different blue tips, a few different red tips, and it can get a bit confusing.

British colour codes.

The colour codes on the British 7mm series are a little confusing I will grant you. Some of the colours are duplicated in different typed of 7mm, particularly red. Also colour codes are listed in official documents that do not seem to have been used, especially some of the double colours like white over blue for inert tracer.

However, here are a few examples which I hope will go some small way to clarifying things.

First blue: The Type A 130 grn lead cored ball is listed with a blue tip. This is a mid Royal Blue but unfortunately this is one round I do not have (anyone got a spare?) so cannot show a picture. The AP is a much lighter blue and is listed as "Eggshall blue". See first picture.

Yellow: There is a marked diference in the yellow used by Kynoch and Radway Green on the Type B 140 grn mild steel cored bullets. Picture 2 shows the colours. However, when the .280/30 was adopted as the 7mm Mark 1z with the Belgian 140 grn lead cored S12 bullet, some of these were also made with a yellow tip as shown in Picture 3.

Red: The observation round has a red tip, and this can be either a long or short tip, dipped or sprayed. Picture 4 shows a .280 Observation. However, when the 7mm 1z was adopted the proof round used the Belgian S12 bullet with a short red tip! Picture 5 shows a 7mm Proof on the left and a 280/30 Observation on the right. Just to confuse matters even more, when the 7mm 2nd Optimum/ High Velocity/ Compromise rounds appeared, red was used for tracer as well.

I hope that is all as clear as mud Jonny!

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• AP.jpg
    AP.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Ball B.jpg
    Ball B.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 7mm Mk1.jpg
    7mm Mk1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 280 proof1.jpg
    280 proof1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Red tip.jpg
    Red tip.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 17
Brilliantly clear!
I think I have both blues, will try to post a pic tomorrow, with daylight.

I believe the left is ball (RG 49 280/30), and the right is AP (R.G. 48 280).
280.jpg

Right! I have it the correct way in my log book. I was thinking that AP was more scarce and that you didn't have that one.
I wish the Labbett book had an attached color (or colour) code.

Blue tip

No, for some reason it is the darker blue tipped ball that has eluded me over the years. I have about sixty variations of the 7mm series but not that one.

There was one in a lot at the last SLICS auction and I started bidding on it but it went too steep considering the other rounds in the lot were more common and I did not need them.

No doubt one will turn up!

Cheers
TonyE