What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100 arrowhead projectile

SG500

Premium Member
I'm currently restoring a Russian 100mm arrowhead projectile and was wondering what markings need to be stencilled on. Please would someone post information showing the markings and also a cross section drawing of the projectile.
Thanks,
Dave.

Dave

I checked my TM 30-240 (FEB 1953). These are the only 100mm projectiles listed. Hopefully, one of them is it.

Attachments

• Projectile, Russiam 100mm 0-412 001.jpg
    Projectile, Russiam 100mm 0-412 001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 48
  • Projectile, Russiam 100mm 0-412.jpg
    Projectile, Russiam 100mm 0-412.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 52
Dave

I checked my TM 30-240 (FEB 1953). These are the only 100mm projectiles listed. Hopefully, one of them is it.

Thanks Slick.
This is the one.
All INERT etc.
Any ideas of stencilling to go on it?
Dave.

Attachments

• Paperweight 003.jpg
    Paperweight 003.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Paperweight 004.jpg
    Paperweight 004.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Paperweight 005.jpg
    Paperweight 005.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Paperweight 006.jpg
    Paperweight 006.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 23
Pointy things

Dave,

I'm thinking this is your bullet. Lettering per the photo. The letters are 7mm high with 3-1/2mm between rows. A few other items thrown in because they were in the neighborhood.

Attachments

• Russian 100mm HVAPDS-T wide.jpg
    Russian 100mm HVAPDS-T wide.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Russian 100mm HVAPDS-T Close.jpg
    Russian 100mm HVAPDS-T Close.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Russian 100mm HVAPDS-T data.jpg
    Russian 100mm HVAPDS-T data.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 100mm Front.jpg
    100mm Front.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 100mm Back.jpg
    100mm Back.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 31
  • CU Penetrator.jpg
    CU Penetrator.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 100mm Front CU.jpg
    100mm Front CU.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 100mm Back CU.jpg
    100mm Back CU.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Dave,

I'm thinking this is your bullet. Lettering per the photo. The letters are 7mm high with 3-1/2mm between rows. A few other items thrown in because they were in the neighborhood.

Oh man, what a lovely bunch of projectiles, here I am eating my lunch and I've just messed up my keyboard by dribbling all over it! You've managed to show numbers 1 and 2 on my "wants list" in one photo (the 7.5cm and 5cm squeeze bores)!! VERY NICE INDEED!

Back to the Russian arrowhead, thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Dave.

When you mentioned "arrowhead" I was expecting the other (third) type of AP round. Normally I've seen this simply referred to as the early style of APDS. Arrowhead used to be used for the one style specifically. I'd attach a photo, but my work computer limits me.

When you mentioned "arrowhead" I was expecting the other (third) type of AP round. Normally I've seen this simply referred to as the early style of APDS. Arrowhead used to be used for the one style specifically. I'd attach a photo, but my work computer limits me.

Hum yes you have me thinking now.
I said arrowhead because I assumed perhaps incorrectly that the whole projectile would go all the way to the target BUT what would be the point in putting in the recessed part to the front of the forward part of the "sabot" type thing? I put "sabot" in inverted commas because I'm not sure if that's what it is. It does not have the usual 2,3 or 4 way split that you usually get with APDS or the bit on the front that you normally get with APPS (Armour Piercing Pot Sabot).
Is it possible that wind resistance on the whole of this "sabot" slows it sufficiently for the rest of the sheeth/core to carry on after it exits the gun?
Apologies for all the confusion! It hadn't crossed my mind that it may be APPS without the split to the "sabot".
Dave.

I'm pretty sure that this one sheds the sabot, but it's an early design and it was probably pretty inefficient in comparison to later models. I'll look for some more typical arrowhead pictures when I get home tonight.

I'm pretty sure that this one sheds the sabot, but it's an early design and it was probably pretty inefficient in comparison to later models. I'll look for some more typical arrowhead pictures when I get home tonight.

Thanks, yes I have the 45mm, 57mm, 75mm and 85 mm Russian ones that really are arrowheads, guess I got the terminology wrong on this one, would like to see your pictures though, very interested.
Dave.

Oh man, what a lovely bunch of projectiles, here I am eating my lunch and I've just messed up my keyboard by dribbling all over it! You've managed to show numbers 1 and 2 on my "wants list" in one photo (the 7.5cm and 5cm squeeze bores)!! VERY NICE INDEED!

Dave.

:bigsmile: Nicely put Dave!! A lot of terminology as used by myself when i see certain items posted on the forums!

cheers

waff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZORD
Dave,

Dave.

Dont you just love it when that happens !!!! HAZORD I think you just made Dave's DAY, WEEK and MONTH all in one photo !!!!

regards Kev

Dave,

You eveidently need one of those "Industrial" keyboards for use in factories where people drool on the keyboards. Glad you like the photos. They were pointy and in the neighborhood of where I was taking the photo.

If you review the construction of your bullet, the screws on the side are used to retain the penetrator in the sabot during firing. The wind resistance on the sabot shears the little pins, so the sabot falls off and the penetrator continues on to target.

John

Dave,

You eveidently need one of those "Industrial" keyboards for use in factories where people drool on the keyboards. Glad you like the photos. They were pointy and in the neighborhood of where I was taking the photo.

If you review the construction of your bullet, the screws on the side are used to retain the penetrator in the sabot during firing. The wind resistance on the sabot shears the little pins, so the sabot falls off and the penetrator continues on to target.

John

Thanks John, I'll investigate further.

Dave.

Here are some arrowheads from MTM.

Attachments

• DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_4393.jpg
    DSC_4393.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_4394.jpg
    DSC_4394.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_4398.jpg
    DSC_4398.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 28
Here are some more from the Russian Artillery Museum. The mass group shots are from the storage area - an incredible collection which is stunning in quantity, quality and the scope that it covers.

Attachments

• 45mm projo 1.jpg
    45mm projo 1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 57mm projos 1.jpg
    57mm projos 1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 76mm projo 1.jpg
    76mm projo 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 85mm projos 1.jpg
    85mm projos 1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 26
  • AP projos 1.jpg
    AP projos 1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Projo group 38.jpg
    Projo group 38.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Projo group 51.jpg
    Projo group 51.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Projo group 85.jpg
    Projo group 85.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 23
In the first few photos of the Russian Artillery Museum, they have some interesting ways of keeping the rounds standing up. Never seen that before.

In the first few photos of the Russian Artillery Museum, they have some interesting ways of keeping the rounds standing up. Never seen that before.

Also prevents theft. You get all or nothing