What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Info on Brit MKV11 Depth Charge

DiverTim

I have just located a Hydostatic pistol for MK V11 British DC. It is not same as US patterns, These charges did nor use an extender, and internals are with rubber diaphragm,as opposed to US type with bellows.

I am wanting diagram / info on this item I have photos for those that can reply to me.

Thanking you

TC DiverTim

Pistol Mk VII

Different pistols can be used on the depth charge Mk VII or Mk VII heavy.
They are all modifications of the pistol Mk VII (same name as the DC).

Yoda

Attachments

• UK DC Mk VII-01.JPG
    UK DC Mk VII-01.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 69
  • UK DC Mk VII-02.JPG
    UK DC Mk VII-02.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 67
  • UK DC Mk VII-04.JPG
    UK DC Mk VII-04.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 72
  • UK DC Mk VII-03.JPG
    UK DC Mk VII-03.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 78
Cutaway of MK 7 Depth charge fuze

I don't know if this particular fuze was used in the above mentioned depth charge, but here are some cutaway images of the MK 7 fuze.
Mrfuze, USA

Attachments

• MK 7 depth charge, 1b, GB,.JPG
    MK 7 depth charge, 1b, GB,.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 69
  • MK 7 depth charge, 1c, GB,.JPG
    MK 7 depth charge, 1c, GB,.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 66
  • MK 7 depth charge, 1e, GB,.JPG
    MK 7 depth charge, 1e, GB,.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 61
I thank you for your replies, the pistols shown are exactly as the one I have, however the DC that my pistol was fitted to did not have booster extender, that handle thingy on the primer is folded out to take up the space that an extender would occupy, if fitted.
From this you can see, that the booster or primer(same), is in intimate contact with the detonator prior to being launched...less safe for sure. The MKV11 Heavy DC as illustrated has an extender...thats called development!!!

Thank you guys for this info, all I need now is a clear description of how it works, looks like variable orifice on wet side???
Anybody have the description?
Cheers

Last edited:
According to what I have read, the booster was pushed in contact with the pistol by water pressure, arming the mine as it descended. But the orifice I'm not sure of. From what I can see, the depth setting changes size of orifice that lets water thru to the diaphragm, who releases the firing pin. But why do it this way? Wouldn’t adjusting a spring for the diaphragm to work against be a easier way? Anybody??

I see you have had a lucky dive to, DiverTim?