What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 arming wires - real or repro?

SG500

Premium Member
Having got into collecting SD2's a couple of years ago I've found one of the more difficult bits to find is a genuine arming wire so at the risk of boring you guys I'm going to talk write a few words about the things to look out for.
The photos shown are in all cases from top to bottom:
Top - genuine arming wire
Next to top - one that one of you guys on BOCN made
Next to bottom - one of the ones that can be bought from the "dugup" web site
Bottom - a mystery one that was sold as genuine

The most obvious thing to spot is the stamping on the genuine ones. I've not seen a repro that has Waff stamping on it - see photo.

Next is the wire itself - the genuine arming wires are made up of fairly inflexible wires that are twisted from a bundle of single strands. The 3 reproductions shown are multi strand which in turn are then twisted to make the large wire. The effect is that the original wires are much stiffer than the reproductions. My guess is that its far easier to purchase multi strand cable than the original type.

Next is now the wires are fixed to the end bits. The originals appear to be crimped in (perhaps someone can confirm this - Butterfly any chance you can post a photo of your sectioned arming wire?). The reproductions are either soldered in or glued in, traces of which can be seen on the wires.

The length of the wires on the reproductions appear to vary wildly. I was looking at some of the dugup ones that were for sale at one of the arms fairs and whilst they are well made the length of the wires do vary quite a bit. The genuine ones are usually very close in length.

And finally a comment about the last one (shown at the bottom of the photo), I've still not made up my mind about this. The ends look good although there isn't any stamping on them but the wire is flexible, multi strand and glued in. I wonder if someone came across a box of real ones that hadn't been completed........Mmmmmm........on reflection its probably a modern one that someone left in the garden for a few months to age it (not me!).

So if you buy an SD2 make sure the wire is correct, but DON'T try and bend a genuine one too far as its quite likely to snap.

Dave.

Attachments

• 12 Oct 10 005.jpg
    12 Oct 10 005.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 12 Oct 10 006.jpg
    12 Oct 10 006.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 12 Oct 10 008.jpg
    12 Oct 10 008.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 12 Oct 10 009.jpg
    12 Oct 10 009.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 87
Hi Dave,i reckon our man Phil is the one to answer this good and proper for you.
As far that pic 4,i reckon the code looks ok,although im not sure about the waff adler.
btw,
great write up pal!

best

waff

4 real ones attached.
Dave.

Attachments

• 12 Oct 10 007.jpg
    12 Oct 10 007.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 77
Having got into collecting SD2's a couple of years ago I've found one of the more difficult bits to find is a genuine arming wire so at the risk of boring you guys I'm going to talk write a few words about the things to look out for.
The photos shown are in all cases from top to bottom:
Top - genuine arming wire
Next to top - one that one of you guys on BOCN made
Next to bottom - one of the ones that can be bought from the "dugup" web site
Bottom - a mystery one that was sold as genuine

The most obvious thing to spot is the stamping on the genuine ones. I've not seen a repro that has Waff stamping on it - see photo.

Next is the wire itself - the genuine arming wires are made up of fairly inflexible wires that are twisted from a bundle of single strands. The 3 reproductions shown are multi strand which in turn are then twisted to make the large wire. The effect is that the original wires are much stiffer than the reproductions. My guess is that its far easier to purchase multi strand cable than the original type.

Next is now the wires are fixed to the end bits. The originals appear to be crimped in (perhaps someone can confirm this - Butterfly any chance you can post a photo of your sectioned arming wire?). The reproductions are either soldered in or glued in, traces of which can be seen on the wires.

The length of the wires on the reproductions appear to vary wildly. I was looking at some of the dugup ones that were for sale at one of the arms fairs and whilst they are well made the length of the wires do vary quite a bit. The genuine ones are usually very close in length.

And finally a comment about the last one (shown at the bottom of the photo), I've still not made up my mind about this. The ends look good although there isn't any stamping on them but the wire is flexible, multi strand and glued in. I wonder if someone came across a box of real ones that hadn't been completed........Mmmmmm........on reflection its probably a modern one that someone left in the garden for a few months to age it (not me!).

So if you buy an SD2 make sure the wire is correct, but DON'T try and bend a genuine one too far as its quite likely to snap.

Dave.

Hi Dave
I can spot the difference in the photos as unless Dug ups have solved the problem that i had then it is quite clear.

Modern wire:tinysmile_twink_t:as both myself and dug up dont sell them as genuine articles then its always a job to get the stranded wire just right as modern wire is thinner in strands and more off them whilst the original wire is thicker and less strands.

I suppose over time a repro standing on its own will not be scrutinised
by the novice collector but not the end of the world so long as its declared a repro,as its sometimes better to have them than none at all.

Best phil

Hey Dave,one thing I also noticed? The repro ones seem to have some kind of plastic braided into the cable?? You can see what looks like little hairs coming from the cable..

Last edited:
Hey Dave,one thing I also noticed? The repro ones seem to have some kind of plastic braided into the cable?? You can see what looks like little hairs coming from the cable..

Lou, I think its the remains of the glue that was used to stick the ends on.
Dave.

Great information about the arming wires.

Parts for this type bomb are easy to find from northern Finland.One specific Luftwaffe depot site have truckload of these parts.I gathered about 20 wing sections,about 10 arming wires and big box of shrapnel head parts(in relic condition).

I also found two complete shrapnel heads which still had detonators with them.

Here is one wire i have cleaned from rust with evaporust:

armingwire2.jpg

Parts for this type bomb are easy to find from northern Finland.One specific Luftwaffe depot site have truckload of these parts.I gathered about 20 wing sections,about 10 arming wires and big box of shrapnel head parts(in relic condition).

View attachment 54778

Very nice. You're really lucky finding so many.
Dave.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=54778&d=1308931583

As Dave has already said, very nice find !!!
Do you have any photos of the other parts you found? I'm particularily interested as to the colour of the SD2's you found (if any paint remained).

kind regards Kev

As Dave has already said, very nice find !!!
Do you have any photos of the other parts you found? I'm particularily interested as to the colour of the SD2's you found (if any paint remained).

kind regards Kev

All the parts i have found have "dunkelgelb" yellow/brown colors.Here is example:
SD2color.jpg

All the parts i have found have "dunkelgelb" yellow/brown colors.Here is example:

Thankyou !!! The markings have survived extremely well too. Appreciate the photograph.
kindest regards Kev

Thankyou !!! The markings have survived extremely well too. Appreciate the photograph.
kindest regards Kev

I will visit this same specific LW depot site within 4weeks.This time i will gather up ALL parts i can find. :)

Maybe i should make new thread for the site/item pictures when i get back from there?

I will visit this same specific LW depot site within 4weeks.This time i will gather up ALL parts i can find. :)

Gathering up parts!!! .......... that sounds like heaven to me!!! I wish you luck in your quest
kind regards Kev