What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German wartime flare carts?

........... any thought you all have about the box is it repro or not? if not i paid too much.
hope you like it
Andy

Sorry Andy, I think I have to agree with Grenademan2005 on this one, my gut feeling - repro case.
I do hope I'm wrong for your sake.

regards Kev

According to my RZM code book The maker is (M5/76) is for Friedrich Linden,Ludenschied.

Will try to cross reference that elsewhere to confirm :)
What you gotto ask yerself is the price of those carts times the amount and that nice stamped item. I reckon you will break even at least?? You also have to add the cost of a (if indeed repro) case.
Not a bad deal in my opion.

best

waff

Sorry Andy, I think I have to agree with Grenademan2005 on this one, my gut feeling - repro case.
I do hope I'm wrong for your sake.

regards Kev

Not a dig at my BOCN Brethrin,but i do like it when reasons are added rather than just a blunt 'Its a repro!'.. :p
After all,we are all learning!

best

waff

Last edited:
Flare carts,

I have a damaged empty flare case from a Dornier 17z3 we recovered many years ago,the one I have is made of brass,most of the tube part is chewed away as a result of the impact with a Welsh field,I cannot recall seeing any headstamps at all,I will have to delve into my loft and have another look,from memory it looks identical to those alloy ones,is brass unusual or were they made of brass in the early stages of the war changing to alloy later,?or were certain types of flare made using brass,?
Regards,Don,

I have a damaged empty flare case from a Dornier 17z3 we recovered many years ago,the one I have is made of brass,most of the tube part is chewed away as a result of the impact with a Welsh field,I cannot recall seeing any headstamps at all,I will have to delve into my loft and have another look,from memory it looks identical to those alloy ones,is brass unusual or were they made of brass in the early stages of the war changing to alloy later,?or were certain types of flare made using brass,?
Regards,Don,

Hi Don,
Im sure someone mentioned in a different thread that early KM carts were indeed made from brass?

cheers
waff

Yes, it was me. Brass was used for Marine flares, remember the sea salt will corrode fast other metals. But as brass is an expensive metal they changed to aluminium and laquered steel. Andy, the case is repro because it is brand new.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3020.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 13
Hi Waff and Miguel

Apologies,I did not read all post before I sent my bit in,but the brass cart I have was recovered from the site of a Dornier crash,this plane was shot down on its way to bomb Liverpool,the interesting point was that a member of the Kriegsmarine was in the crew,incidently it also had 10x50kg,bombs still on board which were I believe taken away by EOD and blown up in a local quarry,
Thanks for the replies and information,
Regards,Don,

Hi Chaps
the case had me wondering it is made of the correct meterials and the thread used for the stitching is not modern. It even smells old like old leather can if you know what i mean? There is an ink stamp under the lid and there are marks where cartrages have been in and out over the years.
that is the possitives the negs are the stitching is variable in quality and it is new looking. that goes for some british 38p webbing i have seen though. if it is a repro could it be an old one from the 60s or 70s or if it is real could it be a late war rush job as is well known at the end things got a little sloppy.
i feel it mey be wrong but whats the tell? please let me know so i don't do it again i have to add other dealers on the day (leeds fair) thought it was ok:cry:
zen and the art of collecting i have learned one thing through this and that i was right not to tell the wife what it cost.
Andy

Attachments

• tall ships 084.jpg
    tall ships 084.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 17
According to my RZM code book The maker is (M5/76) is for Friedrich Linden,Ludenschied.

Will try to cross reference that elsewhere to confirm :)
What you gotto ask yerself is the price of those carts times the amount and that nice stamped item. I reckon you will break even at least?? You also have to add the cost of a (if indeed repro) case.
Not a bad deal in my opion.

best

waff

Hi Paul
thanks for that
Andy

Hi Thanks for that i am not sure about it it has age to it but it could be an older repro?
not sure but i collect flare pistols and there bits and bobs so not into german webbing as such so not too bothered.
i actually like it.
Andy