What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.276" Pederson

smle2009

Hi all,
trying to find out any info on these rounds,not a lot on the web! and are they related to the British P13 .276"?
This one is from Frankford Aresnal in 1929.
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• PA220006.JPG
    PA220006.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 27
  • PA220011.JPG
    PA220011.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 35
.276 Pederson

They have no relationship to the .276 P.13 round at all, it just happens that both are 7mm calibre which is .276 in Imperial measurement.

Pederson was working on his toggle lock self loading rifle at Springfield Armoury in the 1920s and he got very close to having it adopted by the US military. It was considered so likely that it would be adopted by the US that the rifle was trialled by the British with the intention of adopting it also. (Just another case of britain going for 7mm as the ideal calibre)

Vickers were given a license to manufacture the Pederson design and they made about 200 weapons in rifle and carbine configuration for British trials. Ammunition was made by both Kynoch and Greenwood & Batley in the UK. Trials went on until 1933.

In the event, there was opposition within the US Ordnance Department to adopting an intermediate 7mm cartridge (where have we heard that before?) and John Garand's self loading rifle in .30-06 was adopted in 1936.

For the full story on the US trials you need to read "Hatchers Notebook" by Julian Hatcher and for the ammunition history "US Military Small Arms Ammunition, Vol I" by Woodin, Hackley and Scranton.

Anyone interested in US military ammunition needs to have both Vol. I and 2 of the latter books. We have been waiting about twenty years for Volume 3, but I am assured by the authors not to worry, it will definitely be available some time in the next twenty years!

Pictures attached of British examples plus a US one for comparison.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• KPederson.jpg
    KPederson.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 46
  • KPedersonhs.jpg
    KPedersonhs.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 48
No they're not related to the .276 Enfield, which was a much bigger and more powerful beast.

An extract from here: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Assault.htm

There had been some efforts towards considering intermediate calibres, with the US Ordnance Board sponsoring comparative trials in the early 1930s of the effectiveness of different rifle cartridges using anaesthetised pigs and goats to assess wounding effectiveness. They concentrated on a .256 (6.5mm), a .276 and the existing .30. The .256 (8g at 820 m/s, for 2,700J - much more powerful than the .25 Rem) most impressed the testers, but the Board chose the .276 Pedersen (7x51) a medium-power round developing 2,400J (similar in power to the 6.5mm Arisaka and to the modern 6.8mm Rem), which would have made an effective assault rifle cartridge. However, the army was still thinking in terms of long-range semi-automatic fire, a mindset which did not change until the 1960s. The .276 cartridge was rejected in 1932, partly for cost reasons but also because it did not offer sufficient long-range performance.

And another from here: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/The Next Generation.htm with the associated slide from my presentation

The US Army came close to adopting an intermediate, general-purpose cartridge over 75 years ago. Following exhaustive testing by the Army's Caliber Board, the .30'06 round was very nearly replaced in the 1930s by the .276 Pedersen. The British were very interested in this cartridge and even established an ammunition production line (the example in this photo was made in England) but it was rejected by the US Army mainly on cost grounds, because of the large stocks of .30'06 ammunition.

Image106.jpg

Tony

You'll find there are several variations of the Pedersen experimental and prototype cartridges with US headstamps. I doubt if you'll encounter more than the two basic ones, but both should be in your collection.

Both will likely be found with FA 29 headstamps. One has a large primer and the other a small primer.

Full cases of the 276 can still be found in the US,on occasion. Single boxes are often seen. At one time, years ago, the empty cases were sought after by wildcatters who converted them into a variety of wildcat cartridges.

Ray

Thanks Ray,
Do you have photo's of the two types of primer,so I can know which I have and which one to keep my eyes out for?

Cheers
Tony

Tony

Here they are. The large primer version is designated FB 9892 whilst the small is PD 42.

Good luck in finding both. And if you happen to come across any of the other variations please post some photos.

Ray
t291box003.jpg

My .276 Pederson collection to show some of the examples and there are many. #1: cutaway; knurled cannelure; semi-rimmed case; small nickle primer; brass jacketed bullet; light propellant charge;;#1a are the headstamps and primers//#2: brass primer; fat case (notice the taper); common standard type; dummy w/o primer or headstamp; small nickle primer; small nickle primer;; #2a are the headstamps//#3: short case; short case; FAR headstamp; tracer bullet; AP bullet; dummy without primer and two diameter bullet; high pressure test; grooved case;;#3a are the headstamps.
My photography and camera leave something to be desired, but I hipe you can make most of it out.

Attachments

• 276 Pederson 1.jpg
    276 Pederson 1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 276 Pederson 1a.jpg
    276 Pederson 1a.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 276 Pederson 2.jpg
    276 Pederson 2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 276 Pederson 2a.jpg
    276 Pederson 2a.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 276 Pederson 3.jpg
    276 Pederson 3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 276 Pederson 3a.jpg
    276 Pederson 3a.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 32
Part two of the Pedersons.
#4: British K30 .276; K30 .276 with copper primer; K29 .276; K30 .276 cupro-nickel clad steel jacket; GB 30 0.276; GB 30 0.276 with unique shaped "B" and "0";;4a headstamps//#5 K31 .276; K30 .276 popped primer dummy; K30 .276 dummy, wood rod insert; K30 .276 dummy without primer; K30 .276 unique wooden bullet blank.
There is also the short pistol case sized Pederson variation and that also comes in several types.

Attachments

• 276 Pederson 4.jpg
    276 Pederson 4.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 276 Pederson 4a.jpg
    276 Pederson 4a.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 276 Pederson 5.jpg
    276 Pederson 5.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 276 Pederson 5a.jpg
    276 Pederson 5a.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 31
Tony, I assume this box is similar to the one you have. The rounds in this are FN 29 with the large brass primer. Bob

Attachments

• 276 box front.jpg
    276 box front.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 276 Pederson box, back.jpg
    276 Pederson box, back.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 11
Tony, I assume this box is similar to the one you have. The rounds in this are FN 29 with the large brass primer. Bob

FN 29? I bet you wish!

Tony - I might have a spare Pederson box. I will have a look.

Regards
TonyE

Many thanks TonyE,
If you do please let me know what you want for it.
And how is your book coming on? the nights are drawing in and I need something else to read for hours on end instead of Sven Hassel!

Cheers
Tony

TonyE. Yikes what a typo that was. Stupid part is they aren't even close on the keyboard. OK, FA 29 isn't quite as exciting! Bob