What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval "HEAVY" Ordnance...

shelldude

Here are a couple of neat photographs of U.S. Naval heavy ordnance shells from the WWI era. I thought some in the group might enjoy seeing them.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• shells.jpg
    shells.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 000-3.jpg
    000-3.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 86
Nice. Can anyone read the sign in the upper right of the first pic? Something about Fruit Stones and Nut Shells saving lives. Interesting that would be included in a display of ordnance.
What book did these pics come from?

Rick

Nice. Can anyone read the sign in the upper right of the first pic? Something about Fruit Stones and Nut Shells saving lives. Interesting that would be included in a display of ordnance.
What book did these pics come from?

Rick
Rick I can't read but do know what it is about. In WW1 on the homefront all civilians were asked to save fruit stones and nut shells. They were used to make charcoal or carbon to neutralize gas used ny the huns..........Dano

Dano hit a home run regarding his explanation of the homefront drive! THANKS Dano!

Rick, I was doing some quick "surfing" and didn't record the specific sources.

Randall, I think you hit the home run, WWI era U.S. naval ordnance is not easy to find, even on the grand web. Gerat....Dano