What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British No 65 signal grenade

roller63

Premium Member
Does anyone have any photos or drawings of the British signal grenade No 65. A Naval store fired from a converted signal pistol. Thanks in advance, Tony.

All I have is this:

flarecartridges.jpg

I also own a launcher :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

Thanks MS, I think I sent you that coloured drawing. My memory must be going ! Great launcher, never seen one for sale here, if I did it would have to be legally deactivated or on a firearms licence. Tony.

I think your right :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

This is the only launcher that I have seen and the only one for sale.... so I had to pick it up...

Still live as they are not controlled here (flare gun).

I would like to find a dewat launching cartridge and a dewat or replica grenade for it as well.

I have attached a drawing from an old Australian Navy Pam. The store was used in a float signal submerged (the Mk N3 or N3/1) for signaling. Rick Landers' book and Darryl Lynn's book cover it briefly. Rick's book has a better picture of the same diagram I have attached.

Leo

Attachments

• No 65 small.jpg
    No 65 small.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 78
I was wondering if someone possibly got one of these they could take pictures of? I am also looking for the measurements of this as well.

Joe

I was wondering if someone possibly got one of these they could take pictures of? I am also looking for the measurements of this as well.

Joe

Joe,

Herewith a No 65 in service livery post-1964. By this time they were solely used by the Royal Navy in Float Submarine Signal for indicating a submarine about to surface or for distress purposes, or recognition. Early (WW2) grenades had bodies made out of steel plate and were longer than the example shown, the body of which is made of aluminium with a plastic cover.

No65MkN3a.jpg

Last edited:
A few pics of a Float Submarine Submerged, Grenade in my collection. I would love a grenade to go inside ! All empty and inert of course.
An interesting link here, how it works and the different stores used : http://maritime.org/doc/oberon/weapons/part2.htm

Attachments

• SAM_0055.JPG
    SAM_0055.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 32
  • SAM_0056.JPG
    SAM_0056.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 41
  • SAM_0057.JPG
    SAM_0057.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 29
  • SAM_0058.JPG
    SAM_0058.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 28
  • SAM_0059.JPG
    SAM_0059.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 29
  • SAM_0060.jpg
    SAM_0060.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 26
A fairly recent find, a brown plastic storage pot for a No.65 Naval Signal Grenade. Loaded by SPRA in 1977. Label says Red, Green, Yellow, but doesn't seem to specify which. Empty and Inert.

Attachments

• DSC00294.jpg
    DSC00294.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00293.jpg
    DSC00293.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 28
I also just found a brown plastic container for the No65 Grenade that has a different label. Container is 70mm wide and 90mm high.
Yellow print says:
(R) SERIAL No 0015
1370 - 99 - 963 - 4592
GRENADES / SIGNAL No65
GREEN

It has an Australian explosive label with 66 code. SQ maker is Brocks. Packed SYD is Sydney. 1988 dated. The lid has a green circle on it.

No 65 Grenade Tin a.jpegNo65 Grenade Tin b.jpegNo 65 Grenade Tin c.jpeg

I found these two at a local swap meet. Almost fell over when I saw the labels. Sorry for the crappy photos........

Attachments

• DSCN3792.jpg
    DSCN3792.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN3793.jpg
    DSCN3793.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 31