What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww1 30 06 cal vickers steel links in box

dogdog

Hi All
i have had these for a wile so thought i would show them off.
i have three boxes all the same the links are not marked at all.
it seems these were made for the air service vickers mg chambered in us 3006 cal instead of the usual 303inch interesting items and very rare i think.
Andy

Ps the round is a 303 thats why it looks wrong the 30cal round is longer

Attachments

• beech 024.jpg
    beech 024.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 60
  • beech 025.jpg
    beech 025.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 63
  • beech 027.jpg
    beech 027.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 56
Links

These are the US version of the .303 inch Prideaux patent links which became the Mark III link in British service. They are also found with a copper plated finish instead of the grey phosphate.

Links are also made and packaged in a similar manner for the 11mm Vickers.

I am very sorry, but these are not rare.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Thanks for that
i have never seen the copper plated one's before i bet they look nice in a belt. i thought they were rare though not really very expensive but not common but if you know what i mean:tinysmile_twink_t:
thanks though
do you have any picks of the copper plated coated ones?
Andy

Links

I will have a look, but as I only collect British ammo I am not sure that I have saved any. Meanwhile, here is a picture of some esrly links, marked "Prideaux's Patent".

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Pripatent.jpg
    Pripatent.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 33
I was under the impression these might be for Home Guard usage as they were issued with .30 Vickers I believe!

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• vickers1.jpg
    vickers1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 28
  • vickers2.jpg
    vickers2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 36
Home Guard

Thanks Mark for the picture. I did not have one. They may well have been issued to the Home Guard with the .30 Vickers, buit they are definitely American in origin as the 11mm links are finished in exactly the same way, which would date them from between WWI and the mid 1920s.

Regards
TonyE