What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Production dates No. 37 long delay tail pistol

Antoon

Ordnance approved
The British No. 37 long delay tail pistol has been made in different models, Mk I till Mk VII.

The first pistol had no serial number stamped in the body and were named by the Germans WE C after the factory code that was stamped in. I assume that this is the first No. 37. This No. 37 had no anti-withdrawal. I have seen one of these with the production date December 1940.

As far as I know are these the years of production:

Mk I , II, III = 1941/1942
Mk IV, IV*,V = 1942/1945
Mk IV**, V* = 1945/1949
Mk VII = 1949/58

If I am correct the first use of a No. 37 pistol with a anti withdrawal was in 1941. (Mk II). Is this correct?

Do someone knows when the first No. 37 pistol was produced?

[QUOTE=Antoon;166883]The British No. 37 long delay tail pistol has been made in different models, Mk I till Mk VII.

The first pistol had no serial number stamped in the body and were named by the Germans WE C after the factory code that was stamped in. I assume that this is the first No. 37. This No. 37 had no anti-withdrawal. I have seen one of these with the production date December 1940.

As far as I know are these the years of production:

Mk I , II, III = 1941/1942
Mk IV, IV*,V = 1942/1945
Mk IV**, V* = 1945/1949
Mk VII = 1949/58

If I am correct the first use of a No. 37 pistol with a anti withdrawal was in 1941. (Mk II). Is this correct?

Do someone knows when the first No. 37 pistol was produced?[/QUOTE]

According to the Staff History the first No 37 exprimental models were produced in April 1940. It (the Mark I) was designed for anti-handling but proved unreliable and unsafe. The Air Staff accepted the No 37 Mk I without anti-handling capability pending improvements which resulted in the Mark II with a-h.

Thanks for the answer.

But why have the first No. 37 pistols no model and serial number, and only the factory code, date of production and delay time stamped in the body.

I dont know I'm afraid. Warner Engineering Company did some of the development, although it was an ADD design, and I suppose it is possible that the early issues were without the No 37 marked on them. The early design drawings do not have the No either.

Attachments

• DD(L)9150.PDF
    203.3 KB · Views: 123
Bonnex,

What is the source of the design drawing?

greetings - Antoon

Antoon,

Originally it would have been the design department at Woolwich. Specifically this one is associated with Bertie Midgley who's father owned the Midgley Harmer Company (MHC). MHC made fuzes during WW2 and Albert Midgley is credited with designing quite a few. When I knew Bertie he was in his eighties and had amassed a large collection concerning his father's work. All of the design drawings went (in several tea-chests) to the IWM at Duxford but I did get the opportunity of photographing what I wanted. I have added to the collection over the years but too often the drawing has been on thermal paper and the image beyond scanning.

Antoon,

Originally it would have been the design department at Woolwich. Specifically this one is associated with Bertie Midgley who's father owned the Midgley Harmer Company (MHC). MHC made fuzes during WW2 and Albert Midgley is credited with designing quite a few. When I knew Bertie he was in his eighties and had amassed a large collection concerning his father's work. All of the design drawings went (in several tea-chests) to the IWM at Duxford but I did get the opportunity of photographing what I wanted. I have added to the collection over the years but too often the drawing has been on thermal paper and the image beyond scanning.

So as the current source (archive) of the drawing I can mention the IWN at Duxford?

Greetings - Antoon