What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need ID on a Submunition?

inertordnance

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Any information in relation to the nomenclature and purpose of the item shown in the attached photos would be appreciated.

Thanks and stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• UNK. 001.jpg
    UNK. 001.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 38
  • UNK. 002.jpg
    UNK. 002.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 35
  • UNK. 003.jpg
    UNK. 003.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 37
  • UNK. 004.jpg
    UNK. 004.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 34
  • UNK. 005.jpg
    UNK. 005.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 38
BLU-18/B Submunition

I don't have any technical information or first hand knowledge of these items, but I did a quick search on Ordata Online and from the diagrams provided I believe this is a BLU-18/B. There are several submunitions that are similar in design, but the vanes on the diagram of the BLU-18/B matches the vanes on your item.

The BLU-18/B is an aerial dispensed, vane-armed, impact-actuated, rebounding, fragmentation, antipersonnel bomb that provides an airburst a short time after impact.

I have also attached a diagram of the M43 submunition for comparison. Perhaps someone with more experience with this type of submunition can give you a more positive identification.

Attachments

• BLU-18B.jpg
    BLU-18B.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 36
  • BLU-18B 2.jpg
    BLU-18B 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 38
  • M43 Series.jpg
    M43 Series.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
There are a variety of these, the distinguishing ID characteristic is the pattern of holes on the wings. AMMOCAT's drawing looks spot on for the BLU-18B.

It's the BDU version of the BLU-18, the orange wings indicate that it is "recoverable". This version was never loaded with anything. As Hazord mentioned, there were several variants, most were delivered by artillery or mortar. The BLU-18 was air delivered, primarily from the SUU-13 dispenser.

Thanks for the responses gentleman, I really appreciate it!

Stay safe,

Frank