What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Pound TNT Blocks

Anders

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
Can you help me with the timeframe for these boxes?
I believe that they are post W.W.II but I am not sure.

Attachments

• US_TNT_Web.jpg
    US_TNT_Web.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 108
Not sure when they went from the creme colored cardboard to the OD, but I've taken them out of cases marked during the war years. I've still got one of the cases somewhere, I believe its marked 1944. No lot numbers on anything?

Have seen "very similar" TNT blocks from Korean War era if that helps. I am pretty sure they changed to OD in the late 50's.....Dano

TNT Charges

I think it is going to be difficult to determine the era these items come from based on the colour. I have checked my manuals and most describe the 1/2 lb charge as yellow in colour.

TM 9-1946 Demolition Materials November 1955 - The 1/2 pound block is in a yellow container 1 7/8 inches square and 3 3/4 inches long. One end of the block contains a threaded cap well 2 1/8 inches deep to receive a priming adapter or a coupling base.

FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions May 1967 - Case - Cardboard with metal ends; threaded cap well. Colour 1/2lb yellow or OD. Size 1/2lb 3 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 in.

FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions March 1986 - Size 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 in. The 1/4 pound block is issued in a cylindrical waterproof olive drab cardboard container. The 1/2 pound and 1 pound blocks are issued in similar rectangular containers. All of the three charges have metal ends with a threaded cap well in one end. (I assume these would all be OD as the colour for the 1/2 and 1 pound is not stated)

NAVWEPS OP 2212 1 February 1962 - The charge consists of a 1/2 pound block of compressed TNT enclosed in a yellow water resistant fiberboard container having metal end closures. An activator well, which is not threaded, extends about 2 7/8 inches into one end of the block

There are some physical differences that may help narrow down when these charges were produced.

I think it is going to be difficult to determine the era these items come from based on the colour. I have checked my manuals and most describe the 1/2 lb charge as yellow in colour.

TM 9-1946 Demolition Materials November 1955 - The 1/2 pound block is in a yellow container 1 7/8 inches square and 3 3/4 inches long. One end of the block contains a threaded cap well 2 1/8 inches deep to receive a priming adapter or a coupling base.

FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions May 1967 - Case - Cardboard with metal ends; threaded cap well. Colour 1/2lb yellow or OD. Size 1/2lb 3 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 in.

FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions March 1986 - Size 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 in. The 1/4 pound block is issued in a cylindrical waterproof olive drab cardboard container. The 1/2 pound and 1 pound blocks are issued in similar rectangular containers. All of the three charges have metal ends with a threaded cap well in one end. (I assume these would all be OD as the colour for the 1/2 and 1 pound is not stated)

NAVWEPS OP 2212 1 February 1962 - The charge consists of a 1/2 pound block of compressed TNT enclosed in a yellow water resistant fiberboard container having metal end closures. An activator well, which is not threaded, extends about 2 7/8 inches into one end of the block

There are some physical differences that may help narrow down when these charges were produced.
Thanks Ammocat, great information.

Last edited:
The cap well will also accept the standard booby trap thread.
John

This is from a U.S. Army explosives and demolition manual 1971....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 848.jpg
    Picture 848.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 40
1/2 lb TNT

Hi Dano,

In Belgium, we found such cartridges in caches of older civilian fighters.
I'm sure they were used in WW II and probably before but that's not sure.

yoda

Yoda, you found the green or the yellow ones? Have you ever found the 1 Pound green block?

In general, we find the yellow ones. Remnants of WW II, hidden in the attic, sets with grenades, usually mills and Mk II, in case "they come back" !! Yes, yes, it's true !

Yoda