What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M72 and M67 ADAM Submunitions

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Does anyone have any of these two submunitions they can take pictures of and post for me?

We are working this publications and don't have any pictures of these items.

Joe

Normal, or factory see-through lucite blocks?

Nope ... guess you have to watch what you ask for on here ... I would like the normal ones, but I bet the board would also like the see through ones as well.

So both would be cool if you don't mind posting them and have the time.

Joe

As described

Attachments

• ADAM Lucite 1.jpg
    ADAM Lucite 1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 150
  • ADAM Lucite 2.jpg
    ADAM Lucite 2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 130
  • ADAM Lucite 3.jpg
    ADAM Lucite 3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 134
  • M72 ADAM 1.jpg
    M72 ADAM 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 132
  • M72 ADAM 2.jpg
    M72 ADAM 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 119
  • M72 ADAM 3.jpg
    M72 ADAM 3.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 110
Thanks ... any idea why they are red? Was it for testing? I thought the pubs said they were OD Green?

Joe

The red or orange ones were used for testing purposes. The real ones are OD green with either L or S in black letters for Short or Long self destruct times.

Does anyone have a manual from which these very detailed views of the M67/ M72, lifted from the Ordata site, were taken. The battery is, I am pretty sure, an ammonia reserve type, with an internal glass ammonia electrolyte container fractured by a ball being pressed against the end of the case. The segments, still being rotated inside the carrier shell, just before they exit, ensures that the electrolyte is centrifuged into the plates. The detailed construction of the line projectors, which are used on other sub-munitions, is clearly shown in the very, very interesting US 4046976 patent.This shows how the components are assembled onto the flat chassis, before it is folded up. The mouldings assembled over each projector then serve, not only as impact protectors, but also act as cores when the resin body is cast. Thus the projectors are effectively protected against moisture egress, until gas pressure against a line thrower also shears out the plug.

The S & A device is most unusual, and yet I cannot locate a patent, which is why I hope someone has the functioning information. I think that initially the weight of the barrier discs (2) causes the spring loaded long slider to slide outwardly. The next stage occurs as the segments exit, allowing the setback pin to release the short slide, which then moves outwardly. The deceleration of the munitions now causes the steel discs to move upwardly into static pockets, where they are captured,since the short slide will be returned as the spin decreases. The long slide also returns, minus discs, so there is no barrier to the impulse from the electric detonator. Perhaps two discs are used to avoid any spalling from the second face of a disc igniting the gas generator, as the second disc will act as a shield. Why not have only one slider, with the setback pin directly engaging with it. Perhaps the problem is that the force generated by the mass of the twin barrier discs would prevent the setback pin from freeing the slide. Help! Also, are there any details of the anti-disturbance switch,presumably a ball type in a TO 5 can?

One wonders if the launching of the line throwers is determined by a simple timer, after the battery kicks into action, or else another ball-type impact switch is used to perform this action. Probably the first mode, as it is simpler.

The anti-pursuit version of these munitions is surprisingly patented-US 4882993. The S & A device now needs a pyrotechnic operator to move a slider (One only?)Also, the battery appears to have a spring loaded crusher operating on the case end, so that not only is the glass ampoule broken, but the can end is collapsed to drive the ammonia into the cell, there being no centrifugal force available. There are also additional safety timers.

Finally, the carrier shell for the M67/M72 differs from the normal type of having a charge in a bursting case (to ensure that rapid combustion takes place) acting on a pusher, equipped with a sealing O-ring. The threads at the rear of the shell are sheared, presumably before the o-ring reaches the groove/s (Used by location keys) in the shell wall, and the pressure drops through groove leakage.(Some British carrier shells seem to have done away with a pusher, but had a larger ejection charge.)

However, the carrier shell for the Adam munitions appears to let the initial pressure act on a small piston, which looks as if it has a collapsible wall. The battery operation rod is moved (Perhaps has a shearable location in the central support partition?) and then the gases would appear to leak past the piston and act directly on the pusher, which has a rubber o-ring seal, working before the grooves are reached. There may be a felt buffer between the bursting case and the piston, to reduce buckling force on the battery rod?. Perhaps somebody has one of these shells and could verify if I am talking a lot of nonsense!

I should point out that much of what is written above is due to the patience & help of various members of BOCNM! ADAM has always struck me as a particularly inspired design, with so much novelty.

Martin.

The manual is a TM 60 series EOD document. Depending on the document, portions may still be classified. No time to check today, it is 0300 here and headed to the range in less than an hour.

Does anyone have a manual from which these very detailed views of the M67/ M72, lifted from the Ordata site (Now taken down during revision), were taken. The battery is, I am pretty sure, an ammonia reserve type, with an internal glass ammonia electrolyte container fractured by a ball being pressed against the end of the case. The segments, still being rotated inside the carrier shell, just before they exit, ensures that the electrolyte is centrifuged into the plates. The detailed construction of the line projectors, which are used on other sub-munitions, is clearly shown in the very, very interesting US 4046976 patent.This shows how the components are assembled onto the flat chassis, before it is folded up. The mouldings assembled over each projector then serve, not only as impact protectors, but also act as cores when the resin body is cast. Thus the projectors are effectively protected against moisture egress, until gas pressure against a line thrower also shears out the plug.

The S & A device is most unusual, and yet I cannot locate a patent, which is why I hope someone has the functioning information. I think that initially the weight of the barrier discs (2) causes the spring loaded long slider to slide outwardly. The next stage occurs as the segments exit, allowing the setback pin to release the short slide, which then moves outwardly. The deceleration of the munitions now causes the steel discs to move upwardly into static pockets, where they are captured,since the short slide will be returned as the spin decreases. The long slide also returns, minus discs, so there is no barrier to the impulse from the electric detonator. Perhaps two discs are used to avoid any spalling from the second face of a disc igniting the gas generator, as the second disc will act as a shield. Why not have only one slider, with the setback pin directly engaging with it. Perhaps the problem is that the force generated by the mass of the twin barrier discs would prevent the setback pin from freeing the slide. Help! Also, are there any details of the anti-disturbance switch,presumably a ball type in a TO 5 can?

One wonders if the launching of the line throwers is determined by a simple timer, after the battery kicks into action, or else another ball-type impact switch is used to perform this action. Probably the first mode, as it is simpler.

The anti-pursuit version of these munitions is surprisingly patented-US 4882993. The S & A device now needs a pyrotechnic operator to move a slider (One only?)Also, the battery appears to have a spring loaded crusher operating on the case end, so that not only is the glass ampoule broken, but the can end is collapsed to drive the ammonia into the cell, there being no centrifugal force available. There are also additional safety timers.

Finally, the carrier shell for the M67/M72 differs from the normal type of having a charge in a bursting case (to ensure that rapid combustion takes place) acting on a pusher, equipped with a sealing O-ring. The threads at the rear of the shell are sheared, presumably before the o-ring reaches the groove/s (Used by location keys) in the shell wall, and the pressure drops through groove leakage.(Some British carrier shells seem to have done away with a pusher, but had a larger ejection charge.)

However, the carrier shell for the Adam munitions appears to let the initial pressure act on a small piston, which looks as if it has a collapsible wall. The battery operation rod is moved (Perhaps has a shearable location in the central support partition?) and then the gases would appear to leak past the piston and act directly on the pusher, which has a rubber o-ring seal, working before the grooves are reached. There may be a felt buffer between the bursting case and the piston, to reduce buckling force on the battery rod?. Perhaps somebody has one of these shells and could verify if I am talking a lot of nonsense!

I should point out that much of what is written above is due to the patience & help of various members of BOCNM! ADAM has always struck me as a particularly inspired design, with so much novelty. I am wondering if TM60 Series EOD document has surfaced yet, with possible info. on S & A, and anything else.

Thanks again,

Martin.

Martin.

progress.gif
Reply Reply With Quote Thanks

Hello, U.S.Subs, just wondered whether you were able to locate the TM 60 series EOD for the M72/ M67?
Thanks,
Martin.

I honestly don't remember. Remind me in a few days - we are on Govt shutdown, and so working long hours with no administrative or logistical support (non-essential personnel). I'll check but I suspect I suspect it is still classified as I believe they are still in the inventory, as the M86 PDM if nothing else.

Last edited: