What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mine probe set?

Slick

Having been on a recent buying binge, this was another item acquired with questionable nomenclature. Labeled and sold as a Military Mine Probe Set. A number of things give me doubts about that as fact. But, I can't figure any other use than that and/or for roasting marshmallows.

There are no markings of any sort on any part. The adjustable wood handles seem E.German. The end of the steel rods is pointed. The canvas bag/wrap is not like any other E.Ger. webgear I've run across.

So, if anybody has details on this thing, please advise. Thanks.

Rick

Attachments

• Mine, probe set 001 (Small).jpg
    Mine, probe set 001 (Small).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Mine, probe set 002 (Small).jpg
    Mine, probe set 002 (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 134
  • Mine, probe set 003 (Small).jpg
    Mine, probe set 003 (Small).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Mine, probe set 004 (Small).jpg
    Mine, probe set 004 (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 88
A few pictures of a British mine probe ,used from the last years of WW2 until recently?. Made from aluminium and steel in a 37 pattern holder . I dont know a lot about this but iam sure someone will help me out

Attachments

• DSCF0586.JPG
    DSCF0586.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0588.JPG
    DSCF0588.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0589.JPG
    DSCF0589.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF0590.JPG
    DSCF0590.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
my mine probe

Having been on a recent buying binge, this was another item acquired with questionable nomenclature. Labeled and sold as a Military Mine Probe Set. A number of things give me doubts about that as fact. But, I can't figure any other use than that and/or for roasting marshmallows.

There are no markings of any sort on any part. The adjustable wood handles seem E.German. The end of the steel rods is pointed. The canvas bag/wrap is not like any other E.Ger. webgear I've run across.

So, if anybody has details on this thing, please advise. Thanks.

Rick

This is my example, looks the same as yours apart from the decal branded in the handle, i have two of these... Dave

Attachments

• HPIM5295.JPG
    HPIM5295.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 47
Dave

I'd have to agree, that appears to be very similar. So, I guess it is a mine probe set.
Never having experienced a need to clear a minefield, I'm wondering how this set would be utilized. Just hand everybody a probe and say get to it?

Hi Rick ,my set is known in the British Army as "Prodder ,Mine "usually issued to Engineers along with white tape and the little tent markers ,regards Dave

A few pictures of a British mine probe ,used from the last years of WW2 until recently?. Made from aluminium and steel in a 37 pattern holder . I dont know a lot about this but iam sure someone will help me out

do you know where i can buy 1 of these British Army as "Prodder ,Mine "?

Last edited:
Hii can get you one of the Britiish Mine prodders if you need one , just drop me a line , Ian

Ancient thread, but I have a British prodder just like Big Dave's. P37 type carrier is dirtier but prodder is quite perfect. I see a broad arrow on one of the straps and a number code. Does this pattern date to WW2?

These would be perfect for stabbing a gopher or mole just under the surface of the ground. I mean if shooting is not allowed.