What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDU-28/B date

I have had several of these BDU-28/B subs in and out of my collection over the years. They are very common and can be had cheap (average about 20.00 US) My question regards the date on the cap. All I have ever had and all that I did not own (except 1) were all dated 11-66 on the cap. The exception is on Hayes Otouplaiks web-site wher his in the advertisement picture is 6-66. With all dated 11-66 and the gobs that are available would lead one to believe that a large warehouse cache may have been found at one time together. Anyone have examples with date other than 11-66? No big deal as this is curiousity more than anything. I love them because although a dummy, you can get this ultra cool piece of Vietnam history for a couple of sawbucks. They look like something off of Star Wars.....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 898.jpg
    Picture 898.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 899.jpg
    Picture 899.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 14
Its not that someone finds it, it is when the Government decides to trash it. They periodically release items, typically to scrap yards, for demil. Normally part of the contract states that demilled items must be destroyed and cannot be re-released, but stuff still gets out.

They used to make sales available directly to the public, but this involves a lot more liability and much more work. Better to sell tons at a time. Then when someone spots it at a scrapyard, if they can convice them to part with a few pieces.... This happens overseas as well, and on occasion you find a piece or two of very nice US/UK ordnance that has "leaked" from a demil facility.