What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1kg Incendiary

psc945

Have manage to repro an incendiary for a display but need to know if they where standard colours or grey body and green tail fin. It is to be used in showing how to deal with incendiaries during the war period so I wanted to make one and not use an original which will only get battered and wrecked.
Any info appreciated.
Paul C

Attachments

• Aluminium Incendiary Copy 1.jpg
    Aluminium Incendiary Copy 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 160
Incendiaries

Hi Paul
The standard colours for IB,s were sprayed silver overall with green tails
regards

Nice one Paul,Thats a damned good repro man!

Let us have more pics as you progress.

best

waff

British Incendiary Bomb

Have manage to repro an incendiary for a display but need to know if they where standard colours or grey body and green tail fin. It is to be used in showing how to deal with incendiaries during the war period so I wanted to make one and not use an original which will only get battered and wrecked.
Any info appreciated.
Paul C
Paul,

I actually attended an ARP course during the war on this subject and, as far as I remember, the bombs had a dull grey/silver body. I cannot remember the colour of the fins however - after all it was a long time ago! Hope this helps.
Regards,
Geoffrey Miller

Last edited:
Miguel,
is the fuze material of those two on right something other than aluminium? It's shining a funny way. All which I have had were of aluminium and corroded the same way as the bomb bodies.

Yes, they are made from steel. It is heavier than the Magnesium one and harder so with this tail the bomb could penetrate more when hit. The Mag head was an earlier one, but due to its poor penetration power Germans changed it for the steel "nose". The Magnesium fuse was the AZ8312, the steel one is the AZ13A.

Attachments

• Bomb Fuses.jpg
    Bomb Fuses.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 22
That's correct, I should have read my book again but when one gets older memory disappears:tinysmile_shy_t:

Here some more pictures

Attachments

• brandbommen 1 en 1,3 kg .jpg
    brandbommen 1 en 1,3 kg .jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 46
Incendiary with AZ8312* fuze

Hi,

As you see, the incendiary in the picture seems to have detonated and then been successfully extinguished soon after. I don't have the history of this particular bomb but possibly it could have been delivered by the Luftwaffe during the Blitz. It is empty inside. Also the AZ8312* fuze is locked solid onto the rest of the body. Is there a way to unscrew it without damage? WD40?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Attachments

• Incendiary bomb.JPG
    Incendiary bomb.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 37
A good soak !

A good soak in Diesel will usually do the trick if you leave it immersed for long enough.

You could also apply a "small" amount of heat to the body as it will expand more quickly than the fuze-assuming that the fuze is made of steel or brass-but do remember what the bomb is made of ! Magnesium is very potent when ignited and is an absolute b'stard to extinguish-so take great care with it.

In my experience aluminium/aluminium ( and all it's alloys ) is the worst materials combination to stick together. If it does not turn out with minimal force then it most likely does not turn at all but only damage.